Lab-Volt mill conversion - (attn Marty)

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: Lab-Volt mill conversion - (attn Marty)

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Rex wrote:Today I wired the limit switches all up nicely in series, then checked each for proper action. In doing so, I determined they were actually NO. So I went back and wired them in parallel. I connected these to 5V and 10 on the C11, exactly as shown on the C11 Wiring Guide. How do I tell the C11 that I have NO limit switches in Parallel?
If you are going to use Mach 3, you could have left your limit switches in NO and then tell Mach in CONFIG, PORTS AND PINS, INPUT SIGNALS, that they are Active Low. They Dyna DM2400 I'm working on right now has normally open switches. However there are only 3 limit switches on my machine. They are there for homing. Mach can use them also for the limit switches for that end of the axis. I have setup SOFT LIMITS in Mach for the other end (positive X&Y, Negative Z).

I would not leave your limits in parallel. Assign them to an input and then program them as your Home and Limit inputs accordingly. This way Mach can home your machine properly.
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I am not seeing anything about that. Like you said elsewhere, the instructions are vague. There may also be a setting in Mach3 that handles that. I would check my computer, but right now, the shop area looks like something out of an episode of Hoarders. I have the office totally emptied out so that I can epoxy the floor, almost finished with that.

I guess Marty and I were writing at the same time. Ya, what Marty says, I'd go with that.
Jim B
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

How are you coming along Rex?
Marty
Rex

Post by Rex »

Only progress is adding a db25 port and cable, and also a USB port

Other projects have intervened. I think next step is moving a PC out there and seeing what works
Rex

Post by Rex »

OK, I have everything done, hooked up the PC, started Mach3, not getting anything to happen.
I expected the C11 BOB to light up when I connected the DB25 cable, but the only thing lit up was the LED at the PC Power input.
First connect.JPG
Mach3 screen.JPG
I think I have everything connected correctly, with the possible exception of the control input wires from driver boards to C11, and the control out wires to the spindle motor board.

One other possible variable is the DB25 cables. I am using "Printer extension" cables, but not all the pins are connected. I know there are 3 pins that have no wire connected. I will get some cables that are full 25-pin direct connection, but I would think what I have would at least show some level of function.

I know zero about Mach3, so certainly there are configuration issues too.
At this point I am in need of a Next step. Suggestions?
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Looks like you have an Estop condition. Is your Estop pressed? Press it and see if the light on the diagnostics page goes out?
Rex

Post by Rex »

Yes, I was able to clear the e-stop error. The green "Port 1 pin status" lights all went dark.
Nothing else changed.
I expected to see the status lights by the C11 connections.
At this point I would settle for most any sign of life ;)
Rex

Post by Rex »

I do see a scroll lower left "Emergency mode active".
scrolls left to right continuously. Clicking reset stops it.

I checked voltages and found I was not getting 5V to the 5V/EN connections.
I had those wired at +5V from the PS, and -5V from PS via E-stop NC switch.
The board came with a jumper across those terminals.
I'm not sure I know what to do with these two terminals
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

In your last photo, you show the Mach3 Diagnostics page. This page is your friend when troubleshooting your inputs and outputs. I see an "LED" lit on your Estop input. This is from your mechanical Estop button. Mach3 will NOT reset until this is cleared. I would not be surprised if the C-11 has no voltage outputs with the external Estop circuit active. Clear this first. Then move forward.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Also, you can go into ports and pins and change the Estop input from Active Low to Active High. All depends on how you wired your Estop circuit to the C11. Perhaps disconnect the Estop circuit from your C11 to see if you can clear that fault or jumper it with a wire to see if it clears. Report back....
Rex

Post by Rex »

Yessir, I did both those things - reset the e-stop, cleared the error message, disconnected the e-stop, and jumpered between those connections. No other ports lit up, either on the board or the screen.
It's dead, Jim.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Naa. Has to be something you misconfigured on the C-11? I wished I were there to lend a hand....