Alcalde & Coalfield High Line

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: Alcalde & Coalfield High Line

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
It's another beautiful day here in the high mountain desert. The temperature is in the sixties and it's partly cloudy. According to the weather forecast we may have a thunder storm this afternoon. Natures light and sound show. The trestle is coming along. The decking has been working its way across and is almost finished. I will have to go to town today and pick up some 2 x 6's. The whole deck will get another dose of preservative stain and the pylons and track can then proceed.
This is looking down hill towards the lowest point on the railway where half way tank will be located.
Trerstle65.jpeg
Trerstle65.jpeg (567.52 KiB) Viewed 65092 times

This shot is looking uphill in the other direction.
Trestle66.jpeg
Trestle66.jpeg (616.64 KiB) Viewed 65092 times
There will be handrails on the trestle, we can't have anyone falling off now can we.
Having Fun Here :D
Jack
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Take all the fun out of it!
P7094962.jpg
P7094962.jpg (195.16 KiB) Viewed 65072 times
I think this has been rebuilt to be closer to your (much better) design Jack, but it was exciting while it lasted. If the engineer pops in he can describe the experience.
John Brock
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

John, where is this at ? On the west coast ?
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

St Croix RR, Hudson, WI.
John Brock
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Heavens to Betsy, that's one scary ride. The old elevated line at the box factory was somewhat similar. It crossed the river with a narrow walk way on only one side. I wonder if anyone ever went over backwards into the river. Well, the Alcalde & Coalfield highline is a bit less exciting. The trestle decking is now finished and the pylons and track are progressing. My friend Andy helped on Saturday and Sunday and the track is almost across the trestle. Here are some snappies.
Trestle66.jpeg
Trestle66.jpeg (606.36 KiB) Viewed 64801 times
Trestle67.jpeg
Trestle67.jpeg (580.92 KiB) Viewed 64801 times
Trestle68.jpeg
Trestle68.jpeg (498.34 KiB) Viewed 64801 times
There is only about twenty feet of railway left to build. Then I will spend a good bit of time on track leveling and alignment.
No shortage of thins to do...
Jack
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

That’s just beautiful Jack,
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Wonderful progress, Jack!
You are almost there.

'Looking forward to the vids of You and Friends steaming on your completed line.
RussN
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Don't you guys ever worry about losing your balance and falling off? I have always been really nervous about the smaller scales in that regard.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

I only fell off once. When I was about 10, I wrapped my legs around a support stanchion, got dragged off the riding car, left the engine still running with the riding car on the rails. Dad laughed his butt off at me ! (it was the last day we ran the circle at Jap Weyman's, before the TSME track was extended around the pond)

I've derailed a few times- Montreal, the one highline was wide to gauge and the tender on the Brit kept falling into the gauge. Vancouver Island ME, Caribou took a dislike to one of the reverse corners until I beat it into shape (track had come out of the ties, was cant deficient). Caribou I, dad derailed at Hamilton (Golden Horseshoe), and broke a flange, so it has blind drivers on #2 axle.

The sketchiest track I ever ran on was the late Dr Lockwood's in St Johns, which was...gamey due to wood decay. Part of it ran overtop a stream

ImagePLbrit2 by Peach James, on Flickr

Note, the riding car is just off the stream bridge- I put my foot through the bridge. The riding car was on 5" gauge, which is much easier to ride than on 3.5", however I have a fair # of km/miles on 3.5" gauge riding cars. I prefer side saddle-

ImageBrit2MLS by Peach James, on Flickr

But I've ridden basically every way you can. Caterpillar is good too, but you need a fairly long (5' or 6') riding car for me to be comfortable. Certainly not on a 3' riding car.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Odyknuck wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:07 pm Don't you guys ever worry about losing your balance and falling off? I have always been really nervous about the smaller scales in that regard.
Nope…..if you feel you are losing your balance, you just stand up. It all depends on what you grew up with. I feel uneasy riding on 1 - 1/2” scale stuff on the ground tracks. If someone leans out too far to take a video..the whole train can end up on its side and you down in the dirt.
Keith
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

While I agree on your thoughts on 1 1/2" scale, we have a rule in our club that no one is allowed to take pics and or vids while riding.
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

Well, do you have your golden spike ready? Or for your track construction, would a golden screw be the right choice? Looks like it will be real soon now. Don't forget pictures or video of the event.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world