Alcalde & Coalfield High Line

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Andy R

drainage on the Alcalde & Coalfield High Line

Post by Andy R »

Jack,

Maybe with that fill the bear won't dig up the new drain pipe! :D

Beautiful sunset …
JBodenmann

Re: Alcalde & Coalfield High Line

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I hope the bear doesn't rip this one out of the ground. What Andy is referring to is that I had buried a drain pipe like this from the drive way, down between the house and the garage to near the railway. It then popped out of the ground to form the dry creek that flows into this drain pipe pictured here. It was only buried six inches or so. One morning I found it ripped out of the ground and torn into mostly four to six inch pieces....! Lots of holes from some very big teeth. I was just glad that whatever did it was apparently gone. It had to have been a bear, maybe after a squirrel. Part of the fun of living at the end of the dirt road. :D
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
It's been a while since I posted an update on the high line. We had a great work-play weekend here in the high mountain desert. The weather was perfect in the seventies and we accomplished a lot. There was a crew setting concrete pylons and two by sixes. A crew pre drilling ties and rail. And a couple crews sticking down the rail. My friend Mike brought his drone and here are a few photos he made. This first one is the mountain division. The only gap remaining is behind the white pick up truck. There is about a hundred feet left to finish. Click on the pictures to enlarge them.
Meet1.jpg
Here is a shot of the other end of the railway which I call the valley division. This end of the railway is complete.
Meet2.jpg
And here is a shot of the whole mess. The railway is just over seven hundred feet long. A couple friends suggested that a trestle and bridge would fit right into the remaining gap instead of more fill, and I totally agree. What a great suggestion!
Meet3.jpg
And here is a shot of Andy Romer firing up his Raritan. He also brought his recently completed Virginia, (LBSC designed 4-4-0). Both 3-1/2" inch gauge. Mike G brought his Kozo K27 chassis that was made by John Hudak who is a frequent poster here. We were also running and giving rides with my 1" scale GP9. It was a delightful weekend.
Meet4.jpeg

The railway was started about twelve years ago...Time has a way of just slipping by doesn't it. It was sooo cool to see the steaming bays filled with friends and some steam running. :D Everyone stayed for dinner, and a major pointing and talking session. And the railway is not even quite finished. Too much fun!
Jack
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Great report, Jack. Glad it was a good weekend. What would be fun is if you have some before pix to show the difference. The amount of dirt you had to move was not minor.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:45 pm The amount of dirt you had to move was not minor.
I had the same thought. That's a huge project to have undertaken. Sure looks good!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Jack...beautiful views of Rancho Alcalde there. Nothing like that in the upper middle coast regions around Chi town.

Assume you already have a golden spike ready for installation once the mainline gap is closed? Look forward to see more people running and steaming soon enough. Keep on posting and thanks for sharing. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Greg, Carl, and Harold. It has been quite a journey and although it has been a lot of fun I'm happy it's almost done. I am certainly looking forward to that golden spike. I plan on having a party to celebrate. Lots of tiny steam locomotives, pointing and talking, and lots of good food and drink. If you have a tiny locomotive and would like to attend let me know. Even if you don't have a tiny engine. I don't like to make predictions as to when the railway will be finished. Looking back through this thread I noticed that I predicted it would be finished back in 2016 :oops: Reality has a way of rearing it's ugly head. As to earth moving, you are correct. A lot of dirt and rock was moved one bucket at a time. The bucket on the tractor can hold about five cubic feet if you get a really good bite. For the remaining gap in the fill I'm thinking about two short trestles with a Howe truss in the middle. As mentioned earlier my friends came up with the idea, which I really like as I'm so sick of moving dirt. I'm truly blessed with a great bunch of friends.
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Jack:
I can imagine the wonderful time you had with Friends and Steam on your Short Line. ...to have been there...
I'd be helping if I was in your region of this planet.
Thanks for sharing.

Git those trestles going and keep having fun....
RussN
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Can't wait to put on my shirt and tie and run coal! I'm gonna have to adjust the Chiggen Little to run on a highline, but should be fun doing it!
Matt Mason
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Hi Matt, you are on the short list for an invitation to the golden spike. It is a beautiful day here in the high mountain desert. The work train was out on the line today.
Work1.jpeg
Work2.jpeg
bushav

Post by bushav »

So Cool!
New to live steam
Building 3/4” 4-8-4 Northern &
1” 4-6-2 Pacific
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

JBodenmann wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:56 pm Hello My Friends
Hi Matt, you are on the short list for an invitation to the golden spike.
Attachments
Gold spike.JPG
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.