2-1/2" NG class A shay.

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

jcbrock

Re: 2-1/2" NG class A shay.

Post by jcbrock »

Your Shay is really looking good Brian. We're doing tapered stacks too and I was able to start with a piece of 3.5" OD x 2" ID pipe from Speedy Metals, which still took 45 minutes to crosscut on my little 4x6 bandsaw. It saved a bit of chipmaking though. I like the prototype throttle/turret combo as it'll make any throttle issues very easy to resolve. We did ours with the John Buckwalter design though and we're not doing them over! There's been too many 2 steps forward 3 steps back.
John Brock
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Thanks, I cant remember why I could not use a piece of dom. It was either the Stack ID or OD or the combo of both that I couldn't get the correct size. The worst thing to do is hand me actual railroad drawings. As for the turret, I do like the fact that it is all external to the boiler, I will be able to remove the complete throttle assembly with ease. I can also easily switch from the Ball Valve (which I am planning on using) to a plug style or homemade style with minor modifications. The one question is ... will the scale turret be user friendly. I think it will be ok because there is only one valve that I will use often, and that is the Blower. The two valves for the injectors will be for servicing the injector and will remain open most of the time.
Turret.JPG
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

If the 3/4" guys can make it work, you should be fine as far as user-friendly! Agreed turning off the right injector shutoff is going to be a little tough getting around the throttle but as you say that's almost never going to happen. It might have been nice to have a ball valve between the boiler and the turret in case the throttle ever sticks open or something else bad happens, but you rarely see people plumb one.

I know what you mean about actual railroad drawings. We started out building 18-tonners by going to the California State Railroad Museum in 1986 and getting as many drawings as we could. Once John Buckwalter came out with his castings we punted and used them hopefully to get our pair done, and so now I say we are building 19 ton Shays. It's a running joke among our friends to ask how they're coming along, but I don't think we are alone.
John Brock
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

I would think you want to shut steam off to your injectors when not working. I’ve found if injectors get hot they can refuse to pick up.

The water going through the injectors helps keep them cooler.

That being said, depending on the cab clearance it looks like you could easily use valves with the stems vertical, giving you better access, particularly the right one.

Thanks for your posts. I learn something from everybody.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

makinsmoke wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:16 am I would think you want to shut steam off to your injectors when not working. I’ve found if injectors get hot they can refuse to pick up.
I'm pretty sure these are valves just to isolate the injector in case it needs removal under steam. The injector operating valve will be downstream or it'll be a monitor injector. But you're right, a hot injector is no bueno.
John Brock
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Truly astounding work! Particularly the stack and pipe fittings. Nicely done!
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Looking good Brian! What I would think for adapting my petticoats to fit your smokebox would be shorten the petticoats proportionally but keep the gaps the same size.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Hello all,

Thanks for the nice comments. John, you are correct, these are valves just to isolate the injector in case it needs removal under steam. The plan is to have a dummy scale injector that will just act as a starter valve with the real injector down under the running boards.

Hello Tristan, Thanks again for the data on the petticoat pipes, thanks for your advice.

No real progress to show, I spent the morning making T-nuts for my rotary table. My rotary table has an odd size of T slots that nothing that I have fits into. instead if struggling like I have in the past, I decided to take the time and make actual T nuts that fit. Of course, a 1 hour job turns into 2.5 hours.
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Some more progress on the shay, mostly on the smokebox front.
Work on the rotary table. I don't know why but I love using the rotary table.

Making provisions for the pads for the smoke box door dogs. I machined slots and just placed the pads in for this picture.
IMG_2407.jpg
After installing the pads with screws from the back side, the smoke box front was mounted in the lathe for final machine work.
IMG_2408.jpg
After the lathe work.
IMG_2409.jpg
Next, I machined the mounts for the smoke box door hinges. I machined these with a radius on the bottom as so simulate a fillet. Original intent was to hold everything in place while I silver solder, but I decided to skip that step. The way my silver solder jobs go some days... I would end up spending a day just filing and cleaning off the excess solder.
IMG_2435.jpg
With the smokebox door. Hinges that mount to the door are next.
IMG_2436.jpg
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

While I worked on the smoke box front, I was able to take a couple of breaks and form the false throat sheet.
I basically just followed Jack Bodenmann's process which he outlined in several of his build logs. Thank you Jack!
IMG_2463.jpg
IMG_2478.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Nice work!
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Most excellent workmanship Brian. It's been a pleasure to watch your progress. And you're very welcome for the thank you. Knowing that you were able to use some of my tips concerning sheet metal forming made my day. Keep up the fine work.
Jack