Acra turn lathe info help

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

737mechanic

Acra turn lathe info help

Post by 737mechanic »

Going to look at a lathe Monday. The guy selling it doesn't know anything about it because it was his friends who passed away. He says his friend was real meticulous with all his equipment so I am hoping this lathe has been taken care of. All he knows is it is an acra-turn geared head lathe he calls it a 6in. but when I talked to him he got that by measuring the chuck that is installed on it. It looks to me to be a 12x36 or maybe a 13x40 I have never heard of acra-turn and can't seem to find this lathe anywhere but it looks to be the same as the grizzly g4003 which is what I have been wanting to get anyway. Here is the picture of the lathe if anyone knows anything about it I would like to hear what you can say about it. Also if you know where I coulddownload a manual or something so I can see the actual specs that would be nice.

5Kc5Fb5Mf3Ga3m53N3c6264ba353753a41c05.jpg
Richard_W

Re: Acra turn lathe info help

Post by Richard_W »

It would appear that you are going to look at an older model tha they don't sell any more. The replacement is from china and is a whole different animal. Their current site only shows the new model.

http://acramachinery.com/Manual_Machines/index.htm

Richard W.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

It is a 12X36 and Griz and ENCO are selling one now that looks exactly like it. I have one I bought 6 years ago from Rutland Tool . Been in fairly regular use since ,love it ! Did upgrade the 3 jaw chuck to a Bison. Mine is marked hardend bed. Funny thing is there is nothing on it that says China or Taiwan ?? Oh well been very happy with it ,parts off with power feed like a champ. Wired mine to run on 220 volts option ,think that was the default setting.Use the specs from either Grizz or ENCO and I bet parts list also.
www.chaski.com
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

Richard_W I noticed the ones on their site was more like the precision matthews.

John Evans I was hoping it was a 12x36 because I have limited garage space and a 13x40 would take up even more room. The price 75 percent less than what a new grizzly was going to cost me so I hope this lathe is in good shape.
timbertoes

Post by timbertoes »

If you wait till monday....90 to 100% chance it will be gone. at that price someone will get it just to resell it.
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

That is what I was afraid of so I called him and he said Monday would be better for him anyway so he would hold it for me. I hope he is true to his word.
timbertoes

Post by timbertoes »

I can tell you why this particular Lathe, at that price, just showed up on CL...............

because my more $$ new lathe , thats basically the same, just arrived.... lol

good luck on the lathe hope its a winner. already see a decent toolpost on it.
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

Well unfortunately when I called the guy this morning he said the lady he was selling it for had her brother-in-law come over and he ended up buying it. He is probably just making that up to cover what really happened which was letting someone else talk him into selling it to them. Those don't show up very often so I am really sick right now that I didn't take of work right then and go get it. Live and learn I guess. Looks like I will be counting on getting a new grizzly 4003g again.

timbertoes What lathe did you end up getting?
timbertoes

Post by timbertoes »

yes indeed...I have taken off work - immediatly - twice before to get a Table Saw and a Planer...now that was years ago, but still...

just like the $900 Enco 12x36 that was on CL a few weeks ago..

I got an Enco 13x40. the lowest cost one with a stand. seems like its just a longer 12x36 lathe :) its pretty dang huge in the garage let me tell ya!
And you better have those lifting straps on in exactly the right place like one right under the spindle area... even just 6 to 8" further away....well... it got real hairy for a while.

I actually wanted a G4003G. And the Enco did cost a few hundred more, with less frills. However, I already got "bumped off the list" (ie not enough lathes to go around even though I ordered about 45 days ahead) with Grizzly, and they also refused to ship items IN STOCK ( A standard G4003) that were on the coast warehouses, but not in the Missouri Warehouse. This after have spent a several thousand with them in the past.

It is worth saving money when you can, and if one can wait (and wait) thats ok. That wait might be a year though...or two... lol.
the way I see it now, is the Enco is bigger, I should not have to worry any about the size of the work. and the differences in accessories/upgrades can be either done in the shop, or found used ,etc.
For instance the Grizzly QCTP - in reality one might still long for a Aloris... and end up getting one. otoh, that standard run of the mill toolpost works prety good too :)
Brian.H

AT 600 screw cutting gear train?

Post by Brian.H »

Hi, hoping someone can help me? Have just purchased a 1979 Acra Turn AT 600 lathe. Went to screw cut my first thread and it would seem the gearing is all wrong, I have had 5-6 goes with no luck. The lathe came with 5 extra gears, does anyone know the gear train I should be running to match what is on the lathe? A chart showing what the extra gears are for?
Attachments
598859C3-786B-464A-8E16-2682101CB34D.jpeg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

generally, the extra gears are for inch / metric conversion.

since I cannot read the pictures...i am guessing.

This is from a ROC lathe that I have:

the 25T, 127T, 50T gears for inch

the 30T, 32T and 40T metric

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/17300 ... =17#manual

look around Page 17/18/19
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Brian.H

Post by Brian.H »

Thanks so much Bill, I will have a play today, cutting 2mm pitch (M24). Have you seen a chart for what gears are to be used for different threads?