Constructing the Josslin Hudson

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Constructing the Josslin Hudson

Post by Bill Shields »

Some of my soldering setups make yours look like NASA fixturing n comparison.

End result important
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

The upper brackets silver soldering operation.

I have always claimed that preparation is 90 % of silver soldering successfully. See the first photo. I used everything in the photo at some point in the soldering operation. Even so, one bracket only silver soldered successfully on the third attempt. I think the problem was there wasn't enough heat for long enough and/or the fixture holding the two parts together needs to leave about a 0.002" wide gap for the the silver solder to flow completely through the joint by capillary action. This was hard to determine and I was also afraid that the boiling flux would move or misalign the parts slightly. This operation doesn't have to look pretty but it must be structurally sound.

A couple of observations. With propane, one really has to sock the heat to the parts to be joined. I need them to be a bright orange all over to have the silver solder which I use to flow freely. Secondly, what ever flux is used (white or black), the right consistency needed is that of fresh toothpaste. Deviate from that, either too dry or too runny, and I have found problems. And both fluxes will dry out with age even when tightly sealed.

The first three brackets successfully silver soldered. The toothpicks seen in the photo are used to place the flux only on those surfaces where it is needed. Placement of the flux and keeping it there gets more difficult as the part size decreases. And it is difficult to put stop off with any precision on these small pieces.
Attachments
939 With Silver Soldering Preparation is Nearly Everything.jpg
939 With Silver Soldering Preparation is Nearly Everything.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 5342 times
940 Three Finished Three Left to do.jpg
940 Three Finished Three Left to do.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 5342 times
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Only 90% ?

Looks good :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Moving on to finish the entire spring hanger brackets.

These are of a built up construction and just require care to keep the parts square or rectangular and to the print size. Even though they are simple, they all take time to make including all of the custom made fasteners.
Attachments
943 Four Spring Hanger Brackets Nearing Completion.jpg
943 Four Spring Hanger Brackets Nearing Completion.jpg (153.64 KiB) Viewed 5169 times
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Further rotary milling on the spring hangers to produce the end bosses. Machining these spring hangers involved a lot more machining than I ever anticipated.

To produce the end bosses alone involved 16 individual rotary milling operations. Plus an additional 8 full end rounding operations.

With the end bosses, the entire setup had to be torn down several times and then set up again as I needed to closely control the depth of the curved end slots to a final 1/16" wall thickness on the side frames as per the Josslin print. I did this by taking trial rotary cuts, then tearing the setup down, measure the resultant side frame thickness and adjust the depth again as needed as nothing could be accessed or measured in place.
Attachments
944 Ball Milling a Spring Hanger Side Bar to Produce an End Boss on the Rotary Table.jpg
944 Ball Milling a Spring Hanger Side Bar to Produce an End Boss on the Rotary Table.jpg (133.46 KiB) Viewed 4997 times
945 Further Milling a Spring Hanger Side Frame to Produce an End Boss.jpg
945 Further Milling a Spring Hanger Side Frame to Produce an End Boss.jpg (101.25 KiB) Viewed 4997 times
946 The Spring Hangers after Forming all of the End Bosses.jpg
946 The Spring Hangers after Forming all of the End Bosses.jpg (150.2 KiB) Viewed 4997 times
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Finishing all of the spring hangers by milling down the centre sections.

Some delicate clamping is required here as the centre section finished thickness is only 1/16". Use a sharp end mill and take only light finishing cuts.
Attachments
947 The Clamping Setup.jpg
947 The Clamping Setup.jpg (158.38 KiB) Viewed 4922 times
948 Milling Down the Centre Section.jpg
948 Milling Down the Centre Section.jpg (142.3 KiB) Viewed 4922 times
949 The Finished Spring Hangers.jpg
949 The Finished Spring Hangers.jpg (153.01 KiB) Viewed 4922 times
NP317

Post by NP317 »

That answered my question from seeing your posted photo #946.
RussN
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Carrdo,
Precision work, nice to watch your progress!
Asteamhead
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

In trying to finish all of the suspension parts I discovered that I had previously made too many of some and not enough of others mainly the spring hanger side frames so another 12 had to be made along with four additional upper brackets which had been made but not silver soldered together.

Since all of the machining operations on these parts have been described previously, I will just add some selected photos of what had to be done. It is a lot more work that it appears 48 operations in total just to end round both ends of the 12 additional side frame pieces and to form the circular bosses at each end of these side frames. And that is after all of the side frame blanks have been milled to size with half of them being drilled at both ends and the other half drilled and threaded at opposite ends.
Attachments
950 Special Clamping Setup When Drilling Some Spring Hanger Side Pieces.jpg
950 Special Clamping Setup When Drilling Some Spring Hanger Side Pieces.jpg (139.66 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
952 The Two Different Holding Plugs Needed for Some of the Spring Hanger Side Pieces.jpg
952 The Two Different Holding Plugs Needed for Some of the Spring Hanger Side Pieces.jpg (133.5 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
953 Setting Up a Side Piece Threaded End.jpg
953 Setting Up a Side Piece Threaded End.jpg (138.38 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
954 Further Stages in Setting Up a Side Piece for End Rounding.jpg
954 Further Stages in Setting Up a Side Piece for End Rounding.jpg (132.63 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
955 The Start of End Rounging After Locating and Fully Clamping the Side Piece.jpg
955 The Start of End Rounging After Locating and Fully Clamping the Side Piece.jpg (153.14 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
Last edited by Carrdo on Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Some further photos.
Attachments
956 Clean Clean Away the Chips as The Rounding Operation is Quickly Obscurred.jpg
956 Clean Clean Away the Chips as The Rounding Operation is Quickly Obscurred.jpg (124.31 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
960 The Remaining Spring Hanger Side Frames Needed.jpeg
960 The Remaining Spring Hanger Side Frames Needed.jpeg (104.99 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
962 Finished Suspension Parts Laid Out.jpg
962 Finished Suspension Parts Laid Out.jpg (199.63 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
957 Finish Radii Blending and Scrubbing Operation on Each Side Frame Rotated.jpg
957 Finish Radii Blending and Scrubbing Operation on Each Side Frame Rotated.jpg (122.36 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Moving on to remaking some parts which I, unfortunately, messed up.

Commercial blue tempered spring steel, I learned the hard way, is still very brittle and it doesn't take much to shatter it especially when it is punched out at the ends as on a leaf spring.

Blue tempered spring steel is an exceedingly difficult material to work with and I do not like working with it at all but since I need to remake these parts... The blue tempered leaf spring material being worked on here is 3/8" wide by 0.010" thick.

I think I have shown this before but not to this detail so here it is again blow by blow.

The leaf spring blanks could be chopped off to length more easily with a chop saw but since I don't have such equipment and see below....

One needs to be very careful when undertaking this operation to hold the part firmly and square to the abrasive cutoff wheel (a 7" dia by 0.035" thick reinforced resinoid bonded wheel) and not let anything get away from you. Also, present the blank from the coil to the wheel lightly forward and then back in a slight rocking motion as any heavier continuous feed can burn the spring steel where it is being sliced off.

The remaining operations can be seen in the photos but I have made a number of custom modifications to the bench grinder, which were made just to do these particular operations.

And it only gets worse from here.
Attachments
963 Marking Out a Length of Leaf Spring From a  Coil.jpg
963 Marking Out a Length of Leaf Spring From a Coil.jpg (111.83 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
964 Very Carefully Slicing Off a Length From the Coil.jpg
964 Very Carefully Slicing Off a Length From the Coil.jpg (119.51 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
965 Squaring the Ends of a Leaf Spring Blank on the Side of the Abrasive Cutoff Wheel.jpg
965 Squaring the Ends of a Leaf Spring Blank on the Side of the Abrasive Cutoff Wheel.jpg (104.55 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
966 Deburring the Ends of the Leaf Spring Blank.jpg
966 Deburring the Ends of the Leaf Spring Blank.jpg (87.94 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
967 The Overall Setup.jpg
967 The Overall Setup.jpg (148.45 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
968 The New Leaf Spring Blanks Awaiting the Next Operation.jpg
968 The New Leaf Spring Blanks Awaiting the Next Operation.jpg (238.95 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
Last edited by Carrdo on Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Tackling the next operation/issue.

The spring leaf coil is made to a nominal 3/8" wide but that does not mean it is 0.375" exactly. In this case, it actually measured 0.380" wide and that caused another issue as mr. precise here made the leaf spring carrier body internal rectangle a shade over 0.376" in width which meant that the spring steel blanks would have to be shaved down to be able to pass through.

I have run into this problem before and this is where the SG saved my bacon again. If you don't have a SG and you have to do this manually, it is possible to stone away the obstructing few thou. but it will take hours and hours.

With the setup shown, just be certain that the spring leaf blanks are sandwiched straight and square between the clamping plates. But first stone away any nicks or other edge imperfections if any are seen on the edges of the spring leaf blanks, otherwise things will not come out square and dead parallel which is what you want.

The next operation will be to "roll in" the spring leaf curvature.
Attachments
969 The Setup for Surface Grinding a Spring Leaf.jpg
969 The Setup for Surface Grinding a Spring Leaf.jpg (142.39 KiB) Viewed 3948 times
970 The New Spring Leaves Now Fit the Spring Carrier.jpg
970 The New Spring Leaves Now Fit the Spring Carrier.jpg (192.51 KiB) Viewed 3948 times