Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Patio

Re: Patio's projects

Post by Patio »

Just as a quick update, I am still kicking! :)
I did make it to Alaska, the Artic Circle, peed in the Yukon river, and visited the 577 Locomotive. I have pics and video of all of it, just haven't spent any time messing with it, to post here. I am off to Hawaii, on a One-way ticket, cause I don't know how long I want to be gone.
I did buy a 3D printer and have been learning it's operation. It has been great for proto type building, on projects that I am into, at the moment.
I will try to post some pics of the projects when I get back for Hawaii.
Take care of each other. We are all we have!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Pics of you peeing in the Yukon?

Harold: does the board allow that?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:59 pm Pics of you peeing in the Yukon?

Harold: does the board allow that?
Depends. Full on frontal views could be looked upon with question, but a full back view just might pass. :lol:

Reminds me of a painting named Yellow Waterfall painted by Ipee Standing.

As an afterthought---I wonder how many salmon succumbed to Patio's gesture! :wink:

Edit: Susan and I paid a visit to Patio to return a book he loaned us. I was shown his projects with his 3D printer. Pretty neat stuff!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Hi Pat,I just tuned in on this thread; good to hear you are doing fine. What a great trip. I've been telling myself for over 30 years I should go to Alaska. Maybe some day. :roll: :lol:
Jack
Patio

Post by Patio »

Well we will see if this passes Harold's review.
This picture is of the Yukon river, on the north side, Hwy 11 (Dalton Highway).
20220727_114351a.jpg
20220727_114351a.jpg (185.35 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
I was raised in Fairbanks from the age of 2 until the beginning of high school. When I was about 8 years of age, I made a trip the the Yukon river at Circle city. My brother and I were told to go pee in the Yukon, so we did. On our vacation we took a tour bus across the Yukon river, to the Artic Circle. I told our tour guide about my intentions to pee on the north side of the river and my past adventure doing so on the south side. It was at the time that I learned a bit more about this act. It is one of three parts to become a "Sourdough". The other two are to kill a bear and sleep with a native. One out of two will have to do for now. :)

Off to a warmer climate for a bit. Hawaii, here I come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Patio wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:12 pmIt was at the time that I learned a bit more about this act. It is one of three parts to become a "Sourdough". The other two are to kill a bear and sleep with a native. One out of two will have to do for now. :)
Well, I suppose it could be worse, in which you have to sleep with a bear and kill a native. :shock:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Or sleep with a bare native
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:38 pm Or sleep with a bare native
Worse things could happen... :P
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Cannot say ..never seen natives and may not have sufficient supply of bags on hand
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hello everyone, it has been a minute, but here I am. :) I have been spending most of my time trying to get things together so I can move things from one space to another space so I can make some space to be able to make some things. ;)

One of the space saving projects is to get a table saw together, to replace the table saw I already have. The saw I am getting together, I bought at an auction. It is a Delta Rockwell Unisaw. It had some rust on the base and looks like has been well used. The one I have had for some time is a Jet, knock off, of the Unisaw. Once the Delta is together, the Jet will find a new home and give me some space. I have disassembled the Delta and it has a new paint job on it now and is ready for reassembly. The rest of the saw seems to be in good condition and I will know more as it gets put to use. The delta saw has a 3hp/3 phase motor, that will be run from a VFD drive, with single phase input and 3 phase output. I was under the false assumption that the I/Os on VFD were pretty much all the same. I was wrong! The 501 series Teco are a inexpensive drives and lack a "Run" input terminal. Most VFD have FWD, REV and Run and are capable of using latching or momentary buttons with the right contactor set up. I only need FWD and no speed controls. This VFD needs a simple switch for on and off. Motor over loads and the ability to remain powered off, after a power failure will all be handled by the VFD. Also I would like a paddle switch the can be pushed with my knee, to turn off the saw. I did find that such a thing is available, but requires power to operate. So in the name of simplicity and money savings, I came up with this idea. I am going to use a house hold Decora style, single pole switch, with a 3D printed paddle and plate cover, to accomplish the task. This will allow me to use the Low voltage FWD input on the VFD.
A picture is worth all the words I have typed to this point, so here you go.
There are three parts. The cover, the paddle and a little nub that was glued to the back of the paddle. The were printed in black and painted, but not very well.
IMG20231018163907a.jpg
IMG20231018163907a.jpg (291.98 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
IMG20231018164156a.jpg
IMG20231018164156a.jpg (81.27 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
IMG20231018170235a.jpg
IMG20231018170235a.jpg (79.95 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
I find drawing and printing not to be difficult, that does not mean I am good at it, but all the things that need to be taken into consideration to design a part for manufacture, is difficult. It means a lots of parts are printed over and over, trying to get everything to fit and work well together.
I have been printing other things as time allows. I just recovered from my 3rd round of Covid, since 2020. That is what gave me the time to sit, draw and print and print. I will try to post some pictures of the light bar and DC to DC converter box I have designed at a later date.
The saying of "How did I ever find the time to do things when I was working" applies to my life right now. Shop time for fun projects, is rare at the moment, while I try to get things squared away around here. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Nice;
I'm also stuck into some woodwork at the moment, the metal shop is waiting with some fun things as soon as I can get there.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Awesome stop switch Pat.

I could have used that a couple months ago... I got a new hip in April or so and during the process of recovery I had difficulty getting on one of my tractors with a high first step. I decided to add a step off the loader frame to make it easier.
I fabricated the step and started to install it but needed a couple holes in the frame. I underestimated the ability of my cordless drill. I switched over to my high torque 110V Makita. I sat in a chair (comfort) beside the loader and started to drill away. It went well until the bit snapped and the drill grabbed hold of jeans on my my left leg. As it would up my pant leg I realized I had inadvertently pressed the trigger lock on button. As I fought the drill, with my right hand, from doing more damage to my body, I messed up some tendons in my hand. Nothing broken per xrays.
Bottom line... My new hip is incredible, four months later I cannot use a drill without pain. I could have used that BIG stop switch.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.