Show us your milling machine!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Re: Show us your milling machine!

Post by John Evans »

Yes a used machine bought from someone who has upgraded when they realized how limp those mill-drills are.
www.chaski.com
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

MAG:

Please add a location to your profile. It will enable us to better assist you.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
pete

Post by pete »

This might have been a better question to start a whole new thread for and maybe Harold can do so for you. But I'd say Russ is 100% right. One of these https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzl ... tand/g0704 or these https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-25mv/ would fit into your rough budget if your in North America? Basically they should be the exact same machine, although Grizzly say's they have there own personal for quality control in the manufacturers locations. And I'd also very much agree about learning to work with the dials first. Feed screw and nut backlash is always going to be an issue so you might as well learn to work with and around it first.

Afaik both the machines in my links come with an R8 spindle taper although I've also seen them available with either a MT 2 or 3 in the U.K. and parts of Europe. That R8 is important, much easier to get it to release collets, it's always going to be cheaper and easier to find, and there's lot's of used tooling with that taper even though industry has moved on to 30,40,50 tapers now. Plus if you ever decide to get a larger mill later on, most new or used machines will have a good chance of having that same taper so all your expensive tooling can be used on the new one.That 7' ceiling height limits you and most larger sized machines like a full sized Bridgeport may not fit. There's a couple of reduced size Bridgeport clones that could work, but there at least 3 times your budget. And there not all that common so almost impossible to find used. To be honest your budget is probably the least important part though. What do you need a mill for and how large are the parts? Doing head work on automotive engines for example, one of these mills isn't going to work. Model engineering or for miniature locomotive building sized parts they can work ok but would be pushed pretty hard on larger parts such as the frames on a locomotive.

And once you have any mill large enough to have that R8 taper and less than a 40 taper industrial sized machine the more important tooling costs are going to be exactly the same no matter what mill your buying. I'd also agree with John that these 25 sized mills are pretty flexible while using them. I've got the same one bolted to the rear of my lathe as a secondary mill as well as having a 3/4 sized BP clone so I can do a direct comparison between the two. With the same cutting tools in the same material I'd have to reduce my depths of cut and sometimes feed rate to about 30%-40% of what the larger mill can handle. These mills can be made to work, but the more experience you have the easier they are to use and you have to work within there limitations just like any machine tool.

For a generic range of part machining that would be used on almost any mill, your going to need those collets, a decent probably 4" sized mill vise, parallels, an edge finder, a bit optional but still important enough I'd also buy a proper hold down set with step blocks, studs, tee bolts and nuts that fit the tables tee slot size. A good keyed drill chuck and R8 shank. And a set of center or spotting drills as well as whatever dill sizes you need for tapping holes. Non optional is at least a .001" reading dial indicator and magnetic stand, and if it were me a .0005" or .0001" reading dial test indicator. Any mill needs to be first set up and trammed to the table as well as getting the rear vise jaw trued most times to the tables X axis. So having at least that .001" indicator is a requirement. Depending on what your doing, but for most of us a boring head and boring bars could be added to the list. You can add a lot of this and even more as you can afford to do so, but you can also figure on spending at least the same price of the mill just to do basic milling tasks. When I started out I bought the same set as this, https://www.amazon.ca/End-Mill-pieces-F ... B002YPHSJK but that was long enough ago I think I paid around $65. You'll make lots of mistakes at first so the cheaper ones are a good start as your learning. Buy the much better and higher cost one's after you learn a bit more. For a mill of that size I doubt any carbide end mills would be worth there cost though. The higher priced and much better industrial grade high speed steel end mills do make a difference, are properly sharpened and last a lot longer. With a light weight mill any end mill will leave imo a butt ugly surface finish. Buy or making a fly cutter for the final finishing cuts will give a way better surface finish and are a whole lot cheaper to use. These smaller mills just aren't rigid enough to properly run a 2"-3" face mill. I bought too much R8 tooling before this system came on the market so I'd lose too much to try and fully change over to it. And it's a bit more money to do so, but if I was just starting out, I think I'd really consider the Tormach TTS quick change set up on even a manual mill. That repeatable Z axis position for cutting tool changes and it's quick change ability would be really useful and a big time saver. Even more so if or when you end up with a dro. The ER 25 size would be appropriate for that mill, but I still think I'd go with the larger ER 32 size just for when tool shanks with a larger diameter can't be found in the smaller sizes.
MAG

Post by MAG »

I looked at the Grizzly Precision Matthews Bolton Tools etc.etc. What I would like to know should I buy a mill with gear drive or belt drive what would be a better machine for a beginner to a milling ? By the way good advice about the DRO Thank You NP317
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I sent you a PM.
RussN
MAG

Post by MAG »

Got it thanks Russ I just have to figure out witch Mill I want to buy without going over my budget what ever I buy it has to fit in my basement . Mike
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Well according to my Bridgeport spec. sheet a later model with the 1.5 or 2HP motor is 82-3/16 tall. If you could find a earlier one that has the 1HP pancake style motor those are 3-4 inches shorter. If you must buy a drill/mill get the belt drive as I understand the gear head ones have issues with the gears. And with any of the Chinese made imports parts availably is always very iffy. Grizzly is the best in this respect.
www.chaski.com
MAG

Post by MAG »

Thanks for that I will look at Grizzly
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

John Evans wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:06 pm Well according to my Bridgeport spec. sheet a later model with the 1.5 or 2HP motor is 82-3/16 tall. If you could find a earlier one that has the 1HP pancake style motor those are 3-4 inches shorter. If you must buy a drill/mill get the belt drive as I understand the gear head ones have issues with the gears. And with any of the Chinese made imports parts availably is always very iffy. Grizzly is the best in this respect.
I never had any issues with my gear head mill. I've read that you do need to flush the sand out of some of them when new, but otherwise, I sometimes really miss being able to change speeds just by throwing a couple levers.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Depending upon your patience, you might look for a Burke MV. It's about 3/4 the size of a Bridgeport.

If you're curious, I can measure the height if mine.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
moondog

Post by moondog »

Jodavey wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:23 pm Hi; I found this forum while searching for info about a Logan Mill. From what I read here there weren't many Logan Mills made. Well I have one, and thought you all might like to see some pictures of it. Enjoy. Oh by the way the motor tag says it was made in 1967. JAPAN
I realize that this post is kind of old but, I have the exact same Machine
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

So let's see some pictures!