Motor for my Craftsman 101.07301

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

WojtekWeaponry

Motor for my Craftsman 101.07301

Post by WojtekWeaponry »

Picked up this lathe about a month ago and have been putting it together between orders and shop renovations and I need a little help fixing my silliness.

Lathe came without a motor so I bought a drill press from Harbor Freight and mounted that up. Lathe runs but only on the middle setting (no gear engagement), it cannot run the lead screw and just bogs down. I thought the capacitor sucked on the motor so I replaced it and same issues. I am beginning to think this is a gearing issue along with just having a crap motor on it.

That said, what type of motor do I want for this thing? I see references to a 1725rpm and 1/2hp motor but is there a specific motor type I should get ?
GlennW

Re: Motor for my Craftsman 101.07301

Post by GlennW »

I would think just a 1/2 hp 1725 rpm NEMA 56 Frame capacitor start motor.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

What motor did you get?
What size is the lathe?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

"Lathe runs but only on the middle setting (no gear engagement)"

So if you try to engage the lead crew in either direction it bogs down? (I am assuming a quick-change gear box...)
If yes, make sure the carriage lock is loose, and that the cross slide drive is disconnected.
In other words the carriage and cross slide can be moved easily using their hand wheels.
Yes, a picture of your machine will assist those of us trying to help you.

Suggestion: If you post your location by your name, this might connect you with locals willing to assist you.
RussN
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

The 12" Atlas lathe my dad bought in 1958 has been running on a 1/3HP motor ever since. It cuts threads, runs the power cross feed and drills big holes with little or no problems. I don't think I have stalled it more than once. But if it is not the same lathe as yours, then there is little comparison. Just saying that 1/3 hp is enough for most hobby jobs.
Atlas Model 3983.jpg
Atlas Model 3983.jpg (85.59 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Yes, 1/2 hp motor should be more than sufficient, assuming yours is a 6” lathe. Many of these old smaller lathes were equipped with 1/3 hp motors.

I bought an old SB 9 a few years that wouldn’t shift between high and low gear, and it was sticky and hard to rotate. The QC gear box and back feed were both all gummed up with dried oil and dirt. I squirted a can of carb cleaner through everything and flushed out a lot of brown gunk. After that it ran smooth and freely. Maybe something to try …

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Rex

Post by Rex »

That 07301 Atlas is the early 618 with bronze sleeve bearings. The later 618s had tapered roller bearings.
Most of these seem to end up with 1/2HP motors, but the manual recommends 1/3 HP, which is plenty.
The OP has a friction issue if that motor won't run it. disconnecting the belt and turning it by hand will likely reveal the trouble-spot.
Rex

Post by Rex »

I'm sure the OP has solved his problem by now. Yesterday I noticed I still have an original Atlas-branded 1/3 HP motor as was sold originally with these lathes. If anyone else is looking PM me.