Boiler arch for a marine style boiler using propane

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JohnR

Boiler arch for a marine style boiler using propane

Post by JohnR »

Currently firing my engine with propane and at times I can smell incomplete burned propane.
I am using a burner from a deep fryer kit which is directed straight into the fire box.
I realize that the flame is being directed primarily into the fire tubes with very minimal
being deflected to the fire box walls.
What i would like to do is come up with some form of an arch that would set in front of the burner
and deflect the fire outward towards the firebox walls and back towards the center of the sheet
plate and to the fire tubes and out.
What I was thing thinking of doing was to fabricate a cone and placing it directly in front of the burner.
Another option I was thinking about was putting a piece of expanded metal or very coarse screen in front of the
burner.
Anyone done anything like this?
Suggestions?
NP317

Re: Boiler arch for a marine style boiler using propane

Post by NP317 »

I would follow prototype oil firing setup with the propane burner flame entering the front bottom of the firebox and aimed aft to the rear firebox sheet.
Then the flame will curve upward and forward doubling the available combustion path, before reaching the fire tubes.
An arch mounted above where the flame enters the firebox front, and aimed aft, will help form this u-shaped combustion path.
RussN