1.5 scale RTR Arch Bar Trucks with brakes

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SZuiderveen

Re: 1.5 scale RTR Arch Bar Trucks with brakes

Post by SZuiderveen »

I ve shown these before, but here are some versions of the “new” Allen arch bar
Attachments
IMG_0637.jpeg
IMG_0637.jpeg (152.2 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
IMG_0610.jpeg
IMG_0610.jpeg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 1431 times
IMG_1606.jpeg
IMG_1606.jpeg (193.05 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
IMG_0615.jpeg
IMG_0615.jpeg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1431 times
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

I sent RMI an email and here is their response:

Steve
We are sorry to inform you poor sales of 1 1/2 truck has greatly dwindled and been dis continued. Tom Bee would be a source
Bill
318J

Post by 318J »

Tom Bee does not carry Archbars on his website, but does have separate airbrake kits and components that could be added. Kind of sucks, because he otherwise has quality finished trucks for decent prices. Bettendorf, Caboose trucks, modern freight car trucks, Buckeyes, and a few versions of passenger trucks are his offerings.

So far as I know, Allen Models is the only current supplier of parts to build these trucks.
-Sam
Boilermaker, Pipefitter, former Railroader
"Preserving the Past and Ensuring Our Future"
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Yes, I was aware of Tom Bees not carrying Archbars. Several of our club members own Tom Bees.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

So far as I know, Allen Models is the only current supplier of parts to build these trucks.
I know that Little Engines also offers Arch Bar truck components, like what is used under the tenders of the 4-4-0 and old-time Baldwin Mogul, if you can get ahold of them. You can also get arch bar truck castings from Railroad Supply. There is one that is an 1870s style of arch bar that is used under the tender of the CP 173 4-4-0. RRSC also still offers a 'common' style arch bar truck that they use under their 0-4-0, 2-6-0, and 2-8-0 tenders. It is not the same as the CP 173 arch bar truck, so they are offering two different styles of arch bar.

I don't believe that anyone currently offers an arch bar truck as ready-to-run, though. It has been this way for quite a while, now.

When I was a kid just starting to be around this stuff back in the early 1980s, it seemed like about 50% or more of the rolling stock had arch bar trucks under it. That is most definitely no longer the case, so I guess demand for them has just gone down. Not to mention that they are harder to mass-produce than a truck with a solid side frame casting. You used to be able to get parts and castings for them from at least a half-dozen suppliers including Winton, LE, Allen Models, Mountain Car Company, Railroad Supply, Cannonball, Miller, and probably a few more that I just can't remember right now.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I found the RRSC "common" arch bar journal boxes to be somewhat over scale.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The Little Engines old-time arch bar trucks are quite different from the later Allen-style arch bar trucks.
RussN
IMG_8461.jpeg
IMG_8461.jpeg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 1347 times
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Railroad Supply sold/sells arch bar truck kits with a one piece aluminum side frame. The axle boxes have a star cast into them.

Does anyone have machining experience with these or how well they hold up?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Well, the L.E. trucks I pictured above have one piece cast side frames, except for the bottom bar. I machined the trucks last year for a fellow Live Steamer.
The cast aluminum side frames presented challenges due to their minimal material. Many careful machine setups were required to make parallel surfaces that left sufficient material. It just took lots of time. Such is machining. The trucks required over 50 hours of work to build.

How do they hold up? Time will tell, but I've not read any stories about those disintegrating during use. They build a pretty strong truck.

I find the Allen arch bar trucks with bent metal bars to make the side frames to be much easier to make, and stronger structures.
So much for "saving time" using a casting.
RussN
IMG_4332.jpeg
IMG_4332.jpeg (191.58 KiB) Viewed 1240 times