SVLS 50th Bash

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Gra2472

SVLS 50th Bash

Post by Gra2472 »

Good evening live steamers!

Last weekend the Sacramento Valley Live Steamers celebrated a momentous occasion, their 50th anniversary! Well done to the good people of the live steam community that hold our hobby together through their selfless donation of time and effort. I have been a member of SVLS for several years, but I cannot rightfully claim to be an active member these days.

I wish to give a loud, thunderous, standing ovation to the volunteers at SVLS for their work. The event went off, from my perspective, without a hitch. It was a brilliantly executed event, and a great accomplishment for the organization due to the dedication of the core volunteers. Not only was it well organized, the railroad was in excellent condition, and the new signal system worked brilliantly. I was truly impressed. Even more impressive was the fact that there were several local dignitaries there for the 50th anniversary ceremony, and parade of trains, and didn’t see anyone scrambling to figure out last second details. It was really well done from start to finish.

But let’s not forget that there was more to the event than trains. They managed to feed over 100 (I heard that it was nearly 200) people, two meals a day, and there was hardly an empty plate. The food was tasty, and the lines moved quickly. So a big shout out to the ladies in the caboose, and the crew manning the hamburger grill. An army marches on it stomach as they say, and the army of hot and hungry railroads were well provided for. The best part? We were having such a great time enjoying the railroad, running our trains, and enjoying all of the other participants, that we totally forgot to take out our cameras.

As a side note, my wife was having such a great time that she took her first turn behind the throttle of our steam locomotive and loved it. Life long memories were made.

I hope that everyone who attended the celebration had as much fun as we did. However, I think that we all have to acknowledge and appreciate the monumental efforts and sacrifices that some people make for the success of our small community hobby. Without them, we wouldn’t have a place to play.

With gratitude.

G. Augustus
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
Greg_Lewis

Re: SVLS 50th Bash

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Hear Hear! I can't imagine all the work that went into it. Everyone had a GREAT time. It was also fun to watch some film and see some pix from the first years when the area was just an open, dusty field, and now to see it as a beautiful green space with luxurious mature trees and landscaping. In some ways that is more work than the track.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
8thscale

Re: SVLS 50th Bash

Post by 8thscale »

Hear Hear Hear?

SP steam was in full swing!
Attachments
20230521_102939a.jpg
20230521_102939a.jpg (991.5 KiB) Viewed 3312 times
20230519_170249a.jpg
20230519_170249a.jpg (885.49 KiB) Viewed 3312 times
20230521_104633a.jpg
20230521_104633a.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 3312 times