Allen Models or Locoparts Tender

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Odyknuck

Allen Models or Locoparts Tender

Post by Odyknuck »

Looking for experience on the two tenders. The Allen Models is a lot cheaper than the Locoparts.
Is it thinner material etc.?
Advantages/Disadvantages of both?
Thanks
Steve
my2cents

Re: Allen Models or Locoparts Tender

Post by my2cents »

Advantages to the Allen Tenders is that the tenders are cheaper.
Advantages to the locoparts Tenders is that the tenders are a more complete kit. When I got mine it included all the sheet metal components cut and formed with all the rivet holes in place. The bottom a was a thicker piece of material and the holes where in that and bungs where tig welded in place. The holes for water valve where there already. I did have to match drill holes for water valve though. it came with all the fasteners. It came with tender hatch fill casting and lid, it came with injector water valve, it came with brass half round trim. It came with instructions booklet.
Another point would be shipping I if you are west coast or the east coast. I picked my tender up and it came in a nice wooden crate even me picking it up.
I think it boils down is to how much extra do you want to do our have buy to finish the tender. I had a buddy that built his locoparts tender in less than a week and that was painted and sealed.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

All good points, thanks. You mention water valve and injector water valve, are they one in the same as in supply water shutoff. As it turns out Allen Models tender uses 18 gauge (3/64") steel for all parts. Locoparts uses 16 gauge steel for sides top etc. and 11 gauge steel for the bottom.
16 gauge is approximately 1/16" thick and 11 gauge approximately 1/8" thick. Kind of a no brainer for me and worth the extra cost as I am thinking heavy duty versus light duty. I would not need much in the way of an additional frame for Locoparts Tender. I would use the end frames, steps, truck bolsters and coupler pocket from Allen Models.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Ody Steve:
Check my previous Tender Build:
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... nder+Build

There might be some useful pics and discussions there.
RussN
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Thanks Russ, will do
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

So, I decided to go with LocoParts as their Tender is a heavier gauge and comes with preformed brass quarter bead for the top rails and 2 fill valves that extend thru the top seal plate. There are the required holes and bungs already welded in the bottom plate to accommodate the valves.