Clocking of toolpost

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Clocking of toolpost

Post by SteveM »

I have a Phase II AXA piston toolpost.

When I put in a facing tool on the far side, the handle clocks properly.
Toopost (1).jpg
Toopost (1).jpg (142.73 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
When I put a turning tool on the left side, the handle ends up on the other side of the lathe.
Toopost (2).jpg
Toopost (2).jpg (143.41 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
It's not the toolholders - the same toolholder was used for both pictures.

Before I go pulling this apart, is there some way to change the clocking for one side and not the other?

Steve
Charles T. McCullough

Re: Clocking of toolpost

Post by Charles T. McCullough »

Is the bottom of the toolholder coming in contact with the top of the cross-slide when in the top photo but being off to the side (the 2nd photo) it missed the cross-slide and lets the toolpost (the thingy with the keystoned edges the toolholder fits on) sit lower on the post, thus the nut has to turn further.
Put a washer on the post below the toolpost so it bottoms out before the toolholder touches the cross-slide. Vary the thickness of the washer to control the clocking of the nut on top.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Put dowel pins into the tails of tech holder, and measure the distance between on each holder.

If they are not the same, then locking handle position will be different.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Just one of the reasons I never liked those tool posts. Give me an MH 90 every time with a wrench to lock the holder.
...lew...
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

@Lew: There is nothing inherently wrong with this type of tool post.

As with every machined component -> if something is built that is not within tolerance -> things don't always line up (or fit).

@Steve:

guessing that this Phase I is a piston type and not a 'wedge type'.

Question:

with other tool holders -> do you have the same problem?

or did CTM's suggestion correct the situation?
arborist

Post by arborist »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:18 am Put dowel pins into the tails of each holder, and measure the distance between on each holder.
I think you may have missed the part of his post that says "It's not the toolholders - the same toolholder was used for both pictures."

He has done the correct thing by using the same holder in both cases. That means the cause of the differing handle position is in the locking mechanism of the toolpost. Is it correct to say that AXA is a wedge locking system? If it is, altering the thickness of the wedge will alter the handle position where it locks.

As the only reasonable alteration is to remove material from it, it would be most prudent to experiment by sticking some kapton tape to the wedge and understanding the effects of making it thicker. Then you will know which of the two to massage. It is quite possible that once the handle locks in the same position for both stations, you will have to do secondary work on the handle iteself to clock it to a convenient position.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It's a piston type tool post.

Remove the tool holder. Swivel the handle until the pistons are exposed and then compare the length of the piston.

Pretty sure one will be longer that the other.

I've never had one apart, but perhaps someone took it apart and didn't get the parts back in the right places.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The dowel pin test on the toolpost shows both are within 0.001 of each other.

The pistons aren't moving at the same time, so there must be something amiss inside.

I'm going to have to pull it apart.

Steve
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Hi, Pistons move in sequence as you rotate, not at the same time.
Single cam on mine, grease mine with Moly grease.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Just checked, clocking difference with same tool holder is about 20 degrees, have to assume pistons are different in length.
If the pistons were same length I would get 90 degrees clocking difference driven by a single cam.
Maybe pistons have been incorrectly installed.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

armscor 1 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:12 am Maybe pistons have been incorrectly installed.
That makes sense. If the pistons are supposed to extend the same amount at the same lever position, they might do that with different lengths and swapping them would mis-time them.

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Interesting since I have a piston type and all pistons move together.

Either way makes sense, depending on perspective