Tourbillon reel is done!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Inspector

Re: Tourbillon reel is done!

Post by Inspector »

Ordinarily I don't like videos but yours featuring the reel is perfect. So is the reel. I assume it is just for showing off and promotion but does it actually work as fly reel too?

Pete
NP317

Post by NP317 »

RSG wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:24 am
NP317 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:49 am NOW RSG remains silent.
Figures.
RussN
??????
Thanks for verifying your art work. :lol:
Quite amazing.

Thanks for sharing this project.
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

RSG wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:23 am
Harold_V wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:41 pm Stunning!
Not being a fisherman, would you please describe the purpose of the reel? What is expected from the tourbillon motion?

H
Nothing! Nothing is expected of it! I did it because I thought it was cool, a challenge and I ended up with a piece of art.
Thanks. I was trying to think of a reason that was related to function.

I fully understand the concept of doing something because you can. Many of my projects have been for that reason. It's how I tend to express myself.

Your workmanship is beyond exceptional.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
TomB

Post by TomB »

I have to agree with Harold - the workmanship demonstrated is beyond exceptional. However I have one question, What does the word 'tourbillion' mean?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

TomB wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:05 am I have to agree with Harold - the workmanship demonstrated is beyond exceptional. However I have one question, What does the word 'tourbillion' mean?
From an internet search:

"A tourbillon is a mechanism that constantly rotates the balance wheel, balance spring and escapement while the movement is running. This is done to counter the affect of Earth's gravity on the isochronal properties of the balance wheel and spring. The tourbillon was invented by Breguet in 1795 and patented in 1801."

RussN