which Arbor Press to purchase?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Re: which Arbor Press to purchase?

Post by gwrdriver »

On the other end of the spectrum, . . . crushing, or breakage, and loss of feel can indeed be a problem. I found myself increasingly in need of a much smaller arbor press than I had and in a stroke of luck I found this ancient Greenerd #1 1/4-ton press, dirty and neglected, in a basement sale. A thorough restoration brought it back to life and I use it regularly. The throat is 2.75" deep and the ram is 7/8" diam. Amazingly Greenerd is still in business making presses of all kinds, and the #1 is still in production.

Admittedly such a press isn't all that much use if you're building big, but it's plenty of use if you have projects that are a fraction of the size of a 1.5" scale 4-8-4.

But back to the subject, I think my larger press is 2-ton and that serves my needs (small 7.5"ga loco) well enough, but every now and then I find myself in need of more tonnage, and when you need it you NEED it!
Attachments
Gnrd.jpg
Gnrd.jpg (29.65 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Grnrd1.jpg
Grnrd1.jpg (7.14 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
jmanatee

Post by jmanatee »

I agree with others for an arbor press, 3 ton minimum and ratcheting is a big bonus. after searching for months on marketplace and Craigslist for a good deal I gave in.

I bought a 3 ton ratcheting arbor press from eBay at the time $250 delivered. search ebay "Ratchet Arbor Press 3 Ton AP-3" Seems to be decent quality. Weighs a 120lbs so a decent amount of iron. Typical Chineseum you need to take it apart and clean it and grease it.

I also have a 20 ton hydraulic press
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Hmm! I guess my 50 ton air over Hydraulic press is a little over kill for 1 1/2 scale loco lol
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Odyknuck wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:13 pm Hmm! I guess my 50 ton air over Hydraulic press is a little over kill for 1 1/2 scale loco lol
Not in my opinion. I have a 100 ton four post press I hope to rebuild. I have it fully dismantled and looking for a good hydraulic solution. I'd like it even better if it was 200 tons.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

I was being sarcastic Bill lol! When I bought mine, I wanted it to have a large enough tonnage, area and height adjustment to cover whatever I needed. It is still a challenge fitting some parts in the press. I do like the air over hydraulics as it gives me a faster stroke, or I can use the hand pump for more sensitive presses. It also has a gauge that shows tonnage. The table is raised and lowered by a cable system using a boat style winch.