Long shot does anyone recognize this motor?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ChooChooChris

Long shot does anyone recognize this motor?

Post by ChooChooChris »

It is off of one of our clubs 24v diesels. No identifying marks on any of the motors and gearbox.
1E04A884-1CFF-4244-9FF6-5B083F8B4211.jpeg
1E04A884-1CFF-4244-9FF6-5B083F8B4211.jpeg (226.91 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
NP317

Re: Long shot does anyone recognize this motor?

Post by NP317 »

Specifying your club name/location might help glean a useful answer.
RussN
ChooChooChris

Post by ChooChooChris »

NP317 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:06 pm Specifying your club name/location might help glean a useful answer.
RussN
Tradewinds and Atlantic RR South Florida. I think it was acquired in 2006.
-Chris Srch---- Home track Tradewinds and Atlantic Railroad
NP317

Post by NP317 »

OK Folks. Help Chris out.
RussN
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Is there no information on the motor? It really gets me that firms selling motors they had special made will either request the info tag be left off or they will remove it so you can't source around them. 20 plus years ago I had an in with Leeson motors and was in need of some motors for a repower project. I had the info off of some known Leeson motors that had been special ordered for use in 1 1/2" stuff, I sent that info to my inside source to see if I could get some direct from Leeson only to get the run around and told that part number was proprietary to the customer who spec'ed and ordered that batch.
It was a few months later while on the Train Mountain website someone associated with them had motors for sale so I ordered four. I was under the thought that this person was sourcing and selling motors and the price was not too bad. Maybe someone knows this person and if they are still supplying motors.

Knowing more particulars about your motor might help like knowing if it is permanent magnet or does it have wound fields (PM will have two wires out of the motor, WF will have four) and also the dimensions including shaft size, etc.

Its likely you will have to remotor the whole unit as getting one motor to match the others in todays world of obsolete unobtainium is going to be difficult.

I have looked at the farm stores at the farm duty 12v pump units like Fimco, Remco, and Everflow sell. They have some motors in the 15-20 or so amp range and are small enough I think they would fit between the wheels. I just have not bought one to tear it apart to see what modifications would need to be done such as end mounting the motor and what the shaft looks like. I will try and look into that, last I looked our two farm stores had very little selection of these.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Looks similar to an MDM F unit motor I’ve seen.

What locomotive?
tetramachine

Post by tetramachine »

I have some Parker Hannifin servos, look exactly like yours. How many wires out of the motor? 2,4, 6 +
My wheels don't slow me down
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Try contacting Dave Newell (fly5150). He uses motors in his Blomberg trucks that appear very similar.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
ChooChooChris

Post by ChooChooChris »

Steggy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:09 pm Try contacting Dave Newell (fly5150). He uses motors in his Blomberg trucks that appear very similar.
Will do. Thanks. BTW the motors have 2 red 2 black wires. unsure what the internal setup actually is. Both wires just go to a common terminal so both are getting the same voltage and obviously not phased. Good news is I was able to seal up the tiny crack and the remaining oil leakage is on all of them.. So plan now is this summer take em all apart refill and redo the gaskets. I am getting conflicting stories about this things origin some are saying 70s. Others are saying later. Some that it was bought and others that it was built by Jon Hollahan.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

ChooChooChris wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:34 am
Steggy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:09 pm Try contacting Dave Newell (fly5150). He uses motors in his Blomberg trucks that appear very similar.
Will do. Thanks. BTW the motors have 2 red 2 black wires. unsure what the internal setup actually is. Both wires just go to a common terminal so both are getting the same voltage and obviously not phased.
This sounds like a permanent-magnet motor, which is a commonly-available part in 24 volts.

BTW, there is no concept of “phase” with DC motors, only “polarity.” :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
ChooChooChris

Post by ChooChooChris »

Steggy wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:53 pm
ChooChooChris wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:34 am
Will do. Thanks. BTW the motors have 2 red 2 black wires. unsure what the internal setup actually is. Both wires just go to a common terminal so both are getting the same voltage and obviously not phased.
This sounds like a permanent-magnet motor, which is a commonly-available part in 24 volts.

BTW, there is no concept of “phase” with DC motors, only “polarity.” :D
Plenty aware of that. But there are motors that use 3 phase on a DC system with pwm inverters ( see lots of cars and some scooter motors) as well as the good ol stepper style motors. Was just pointing out despite multiple wires these were just plain ol fashion dc motors.
Fender

Post by Fender »

I bought a similar motor from ebay a few years ago, ostensibly 24 volts. No plate identifying the wattage, rpm or anything else. The rpm turned to be extremely high, leading me to believe it was actually a 12 volt motor. I ran it a few years, but eventually replaced it with a new motor with known specs when “the smoke leaked out” of the original motor.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN