RC Controller recommendation wanted

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JimJam

RC Controller recommendation wanted

Post by JimJam »

Hello folks -

I'm building an electric battery-operated SW-1 and I'd like to make it a remote-controlled locomotive. In my search I've found there is a plethora of RC contollers to choose from. I'd like to ask you what make RC controller you're using in your locomotive and are you happy with it ? What are the draw backs and what are the key points you like about your controller ?

Thanks.

- Jimi
Harvard, MA
FLSTEAM

Re: RC Controller recommendation wanted

Post by FLSTEAM »

I am using a Dimension engineering Sabertooth 2x32 to drive my RMI Steeple Cab. It has two 32amp drives in one controller. Takes some time to tinker with it. My learning curve was more than I expected.
JB
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Are you asking which motor controllers accept RC inputs, or about the receiver/transmitter pairs people use to provide the RC input to their controller, or both?
John Brock
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Just use a controller rated for ground service, not airplane frequencies

First question

How many channels will you require.

Think of all you may ever need, then add 2.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

Post by ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES »

Get on YouTube and look up Mill Brook Railroad his engines are remote controlled and seem to do pretty darn good, he even does rebuild on his engines get in contact with him
8thscale

Post by 8thscale »

jcbrock wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:04 am Are you asking which motor controllers accept RC inputs, or about the receiver/transmitter pairs people use to provide the RC input to their controller, or both?
The motor controller has to interface w/ the remote and vice versa. Your entire system must work together!
What is your definition of remote? I've used a system where if the handheld becomes unplugged the locomotive will stop. If you fall off ... well that's a different problem. I recently saw a Titan Trains system which is full featured and the owner was very satisfied.

Safety can be a concern as well ... of interest might be a document from Maricopa Live Steamers (AZ) on "Remotely Operated Locomotives".
https://maricopalivesteamers.com/marico ... documents/

Investigating these options as well.
Dave
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

https://www.wassell.org/dakota/

Steve is an EE, and designs and builds these specifically for locomotive use. I used one on a small 4-wheel critter that my son and I made. It has a 4QD Pro-150 controller, and since I am not an electronics person, I wanted something that was plug and play. It has worked really well for me. I did have some problems in the beginning, but they were caused by electrical noise from the motors, and a back EMF from the horn relay. Steve told me what to do to clean up those signals and all was well after that. My locomotive will run about 80 to 90 feet away from you, then it will lose the signal and will slow to a stop.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

some clubs would consider 80-90 running unmanned to be dangerous as when compared to a wired controller that has either a spring loaded throttle (dead man) or a 'die on disconnect' loop built into the control box / cable / plug / controller circuit where if the signal from the throttle control is constantly monitored...not just for level, but existence.

Either of which stop immediately (as in RIGHT NOW).

I have seen setups where there is a 'dead man' cable with a quick pull connector, connected to the engineer around his wrist. If he falls off, all stops. Kind of like what is on a jet skii or similar.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

After much discussion, and investigation into remote control options for my locomotives, I went with a Spektrum DX5c transmitter ($150), and Specktrum SR515 DSMR 5-Channel Sport Receivers ($65). Here’s why. The Spektrum transmitters and receivers are high quality, easy to use, and cost effective. Since I operate three locomotives in various MU configurations, and solo, I wanted a system that would be able to bind together all three receivers at the same time. This system will do that, and it works very well with very little learning curve. Press the bind buttons on the receivers, press the bind button on the transmitter, and you’re done. It really is that easy.

The transmitters are then connected by a standard RC three pin plug to a BasicMicro Roboclaw 60a motor driver ($120). These things are amazing. They are about the size of a deck of cards but are capable of operating at 32v at a peak 100amps, and continuously at 60amps. They are also customizable using the BasicMicro software and a usb cable. There are lots of parameters that you can adjust if you need to, but I have found that they work brilliantly right out of the box. All I have ever needed to do is to update the firmware once. Extremely robust, simple to use, and inexpensive. So far I have tried to torture them with a heavy train by pulling a constant 50amps. No problem at all.

I have been testing this system regularly on my home railroad. I have been running multiple units, single units, mid train helpers (kind of silly with only a half dozen cars to play with, but fun), and even as a helper behind my steam locomotive. I tried several different failure scenarios too. I tried interference tests by trying to see if using multiple transmitters would be an issue. No problems, everything was solid. Then I tested to see what would happen if I went out of range, turned the transmitter off, or pulled the batteries, and even what happens when the batteries die. In every single case, the train stopped cold. Without a signal from the transmitter, everything stops. Same thing happens if you drop the transmitter. Since the throttle trigger is spring loaded and centers automatically, if you drop it, fall asleep, or whatever, it stops the train. Personally, I like having the throttle on the steering wheel and the horn on the trigger. It think it works better and is less likely to result in unintended movements.

These radios are for ground based use, but since they are basically using Bluetooth communication protocols, they are impossible to interfere with once the transmitter and receivers are bound together. It is nothing like the old crystal transmitters with open frequencies. It is no longer required to put flags on your antennas to keep from interfering with each other.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

some clubs would consider 80-90 running unmanned to be dangerous
It sure is a heck of a convenience when you are trying to switch a long cut of cars or put your train into a siding or something like that. In fact, that was what really sold me on remote control to begin with... the fact that you weren't tethered to the locomotive itself with a 6 ft cord or something.

That link to Maricopa says that the operator shall not be more than 165 feet from the equipment while it is in motion. That seems a bit much to me, but they discussed it and obviously thought it was ok.
Nik3v

Post by Nik3v »

2nd vote for Stephen Wassel. Affordable, plug and play, great communication, customizable, etc.
I have 4 of his units, can be set up for MU. Works with 4QD and RMI old style electric. He’ll also set them up for other systems. LOTS of safety built in.
JimJam

Post by JimJam »

Thanks for all the input. My intent is to purchase a controller that has RC built in. Technology is advancing so fast... even in our Live Steam hobby. It's difficult to keep up with what's best ! Next week, there may be another RC/controller that's even better !

Thanks again to all that responded. I'll digest all this info and make a decision.

- Jimi
Harvard, MA

BTW, I understand this question should have been submitted in the "Riding Scale Railroading". Live and learn.