Report: Holding thin work with double-sided sticky tape

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Report: Holding thin work with double-sided sticky tape

Post by seal killer »

All--

I experimented with a fly cutter using some double-sided sticky tape to hold a piece of scrap aluminum on the mill table. It worked very well. I followed Harold's suggestions of degreasing the surfaces and taping down the workpiece. The workpiece and tape were also easy to remove with only a tiny piece of tape sticking to the table. The remainder released along with the workpiece when I pried up on it a bit with a screwdriver in a t-slot.

Here's a video. Comments welcome and appreciated.

https://youtu.be/bCV6utCVAbs

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Re: Report: Holding thin work with double-sided sticky tape

Post by Harold_V »

Well done, Bill. I suspect it was obvious to you how valuable a touch of lubrication is.

The nice thing about this holding method is that it's quite good for eliminating flatness errors. Even though the part is tapped down, it will spring back to some degree, so multiple passes and flipping reduce error to what is usually an acceptable level.

Tape holding and fly cutting. The poor man's surface grinder.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I use acetone to clean the table and parts.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Richard--

Thanks. Acetone is a lot cheaper than the firearms degreaser I used. I have acetone, of course. I didn't think to use it. I'll use it next time!

--Bill
You are what you write.