Flaring tube ends after expanding?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Fender

Re: Flaring tube ends after expanding?

Post by Fender »

Another factor besides the diameter of the body of the roller is the driving arbor. The roller I bought used a #1 Morse taper. There was no hope of squeezing that into the firebox of a LE American, so I cut off the MT shank and filed it so it could be driven with socket wrench/u-joint setup.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I wrote an article for Live Steam about a d.i.y. tube roller designed by John Bailie (Nov./Dec. 2003). I made one and it works fine. If anyone wants a copy of the article send me a p.m. with your email and I'll send it to you.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

milwiron wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:28 pm Something to consider if space is tight.
Pictured below is my commercial roller and my homemade roller, both fit 1/2" K copper tubing.
The home built roller doesn't have many clearance problems. They seem to work equally well.

Rollers.jpg
Excuse my ignorance but what is the threaded looking portion at the tip of the home built roller?

Was this roller built to the Live Steam / Bailie design?
-Frank K.
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

FKreider wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:02 pm
Rollers.jpg

Excuse my ignorance but what is the threaded looking portion at the tip of the home built roller?

Was this roller built to the Live Steam / Bailie design?
Jesse Livingston design.
The grooves in the thread allow for assembly and the thread itself is for a small threaded ring and jam nut to keep it from coming apart.
The thread on the large end fits a threaded sleeve for attaching extension drive rods.
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

The thread on the large end fits a threaded sleeve for attaching extension drive rods.
Jessie Livingston's design also allowed you to use those 'grooved' threads on the front end to drive the roller. Thus, it could be used in the firebox end while being driven by a shaft from the front tube sheet end of the boiler to roll in the tube. Jessie built several locomotives with smaller size boilers, and this was one design feature that he incorporated from the beginning. I know he used his roller in this manner on at least a couple of occasions.