3D Printing Forum

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

daves1459

3D Printing Forum

Post by daves1459 »

I'd like to revisit the idea of a 3D printing forum. In a quick search it looks like the last time the idea came up it was 8 to 10 years ago. 3D printing, and the associated solid modeling, have become a more integral part of today's model engineering. For myself I use it for printing try-out or test fit prototypes. But mostly I use it for patterns for either investment or low melt temperature alloy silicon molds. if there is an interest, I'd like to correspond with others similarly inclined.

Dave
Harold_V

Re: 3D Printing Forum

Post by Harold_V »

Your suggestion is being evaluated by administration.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Charles T. McCullough

Post by Charles T. McCullough »

I can see where some 3-D printing could be covered in the Casting and Foundry forum and other items might fit in the CAD and CAM forum.

But there are now 3-D printed materials that can be used directly for the finished part. I have made many parts for lineside structures and "decoration" on rolling stock that are intended to be used directly from the print. Granted they are not "Machining", but they work along with machined parts!

I have 3-D printed afew things for my 1:32 scale train modeling:

3 types of grab-irons/ladder rungs and door handles for the sides of G-scale rolling stock.
I have made stair sections (stringers, steps and landing platform) for a G-scale coaling tower. (16 of them to wind around the elevator tower.)
Flat "Coupling plates" for "timber constructed" lineside structures (G-scale water tower, coaling tower, sanding facility, etc.)
Light visors for 1/3-scale RR crossing lights.

I made "Couplers" for small bar hand-clamps that I needed to be longer to hold things while being glued.
I made an adapter to couple 4-mm hex screwdriver bits in a 1/4-inch drive socket so I can use my electric driver with the 4-mm bits.

I have a (18-inch radius 1/2 round) stained-glass window of a Steam loco that I needed trim to hold it in place over my front door, but I no longer have the woodworking tools to manufacture the trim, so I 3-D printed the trim (in 5 sections) complete with a pair of crossing lights and Highway "RXR" signs as decorations.

WindowTrim.jpg
WindowTrim.jpg (73.78 KiB) Viewed 1818 times

I have made lots of other things that have nothing to do with railroading in any way, shape or form. But it sure is fun no matter what it is for!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Readers,
Please take note that administration has added 3D printing to the Home Shop CNC forum. We think that because the two are closely related and the CNC forum is not well used, that's a good match that doesn't add yet another forum that further separates the board, yet it provides a voice for those who have an interest in the subject. If you care to explore, here's a link to that forum: https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewforum.php?f=9

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.