Allen Models expansion links and block set *** SOLD ***

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

765nkp

Allen Models expansion links and block set *** SOLD ***

Post by 765nkp »

I had a few extra of these made back when I needed some. Cut from tool steel and blocks are brass.
They fit the American, Mogul and 10 wheeler
$225
$10 for shipping
Pm if interested
Attachments
IMG_20230128_081829_653.jpg
IMG_20230128_081829_653.jpg (179.94 KiB) Viewed 19953 times
Odyknuck

Re: Allen Models expansion links and block set

Post by Odyknuck »

They will not work on my Loco however I am curious how well the brass blocks held up for you?
765nkp

Re: Allen Models expansion links and block set

Post by 765nkp »

All sold
Odyknuck

Re: Allen Models expansion links and block set *** SOLD ***

Post by Odyknuck »

Ok, so how well did the brass blocks work?
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I have used bearing bronze die blocks since 1980. They last a long time if you keep them oiled.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Thanks for the helpful info as I have been contemplating what I need to do for mine. I have the reverse links however no blocks. I really do not know what material was used so my choices are to make them out of Bronze or make them brand knew with known material.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Odyknuck wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:40 pm Thanks for the helpful info as I have been contemplating what I need to do for mine. I have the reverse links however no blocks. I really do not know what material was used so my choices are to make them out of Bronze or make them brand knew with known material.
Phosphor bronze is an excellent choice.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

My buddy's CNC shop has an EDM that we may make both parts from prehardend tool steel. He recently got really busy for the foreseeable future so that ideal may fall to the wayside as there are other parts that take president.
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

would it make sense to make both the link and the block from tool steel? Would absolutely make the link from it, but I'd think you'd want something more like the bearing material for the block. Curious to read others advice as well on the optimal materials for wear.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

RThomp wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:30 am would it make sense to make both the link and the block from tool steel? Would absolutely make the link from it, but I'd think you'd want something more like the bearing material for the block. Curious to read others advice as well on the optimal materials for wear.
For my Mikado I had both parts made from hardened tool steel, cut by a wire EDM.
Being hard and smooth both parts bear together with little friction. Of course lubrication is always required.

My old(er) Ten Wheeler used tool steel for the radius links and blocks, but not hardened. The blocks eventually wore and required replacement.
I made sure both the block and the link were remade with hardened steels. Hopefully good for another 20 years of use.
RussN
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

If I go the EDM route both the reverse links and the blocks will be made of the same pre hardened material per RussN's recommendation.
If I use the reverse links I have, I will use the Bearing bronze as suggested by Harold. The links appear to be tool steel however I don't know for sure. I will try and hardened it and will know more.