Building Allen Models 0 4 0 Yard Engine

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

RThomp

Re: Building Allen Models 0 4 0 Yard Engine

Post by RThomp »

Marty, curious very roughly what the ballpark budget is on a 0-4-0 boiler?
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

RThomp wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:59 pm Marty, curious very roughly what the ballpark budget is on a 0-4-0 boiler?
The base price of the Allen 0-4-0 boiler is $4800. There are two options available - a ball valve throttle in the dome, and a stainless steel arch. Each of these options is $300.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I have located the flash drive where I saved the pictures I took of the construction of the first Allen 0-4-0. If there is a particular part you'd like to see let me know.
Attachments
72715 970.JPG
72715 970.JPG (78.72 KiB) Viewed 4135 times
cdbailey1313

Post by cdbailey1313 »

Wow what a fantastic response. I will also start a build log my 1st pics are attached showing progress to date. I am going to stick to the plans and build it as it was designed this will be easiest for me from building and and running perspective. I do appreciate the other ideas though. Someone mentioned transportation, I have a 14' enclosed trailer. I have been in the hobby on and off since 1996 so have built a couple of cars and a Little Gasser and purchased a SW7 Cow Calf Pair from Real trains. Thanks for the inspiration. Marty thanks for the pics and offer of further info if needed.
Attachments
Assembly up thru Side Rods and Bushings
Assembly up thru Side Rods and Bushings
Capture.JPG (144.28 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
Assembly up thru Frame Spring Rigging and Equalization
Assembly up thru Frame Spring Rigging and Equalization
Capture1.JPG (140.25 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
Dan B.
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

allen 2 4 2.jpg
allen 2 4 2.jpg (425.14 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
Recently saw the pic on the web and saved it. so many possibilities with the allen castings
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That picture is of the late George Towne from Mid-South Live Steamers. Story on that particular locomotive was this: He had originally built a Mercer Camelback years previous, which he really liked, but later sold. He regretted selling it, and decided to build another one, but when he was going to start building it, the Mercer castings were not yet available again. I don't believe the Allen 0-4-0 had come out yet when he started it, so he started off using Allen cylinders and the drive wheels from the 2-8-0 to build this locomotive. He built it with a huge Wooten firebox, and then decided to propane fire it, and with all of that, the thing was pretty tail end heavy. Thus it ended up morphing from the original intended 0-4-0 into the 2-4-2 that you see. I know it got changed up several times, but by the time he was satisfied with it, it would steam pretty darn good. Most of his previous locomotives had been coal fired so there was a learning curve there. Mr. Towne passed away back in 2014 at age 93.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I used the Consolidation drivers for the 0-4-0. I used the Mogul cylinders and valve gear, the cab from the American,
and the domes from Chloe. I did design a new boiler.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I used the Consolidation drivers for the 0-4-0. I used the Mogul cylinders and valve gear, the cab from the American,
and the domes from Chloe. I did design a new boiler.
Well, it all turned out pretty good if you ask me. I like kitbashing parts together and coming up with something new. In Mr. Towne's case, there wasn't an 0-4-0 available (with D valves) to base it on at the time he started it, so he just used parts from the Allen Models parts bin and put one together.
cdbailey1313

Post by cdbailey1313 »

side rods.JPG
side rods.JPG (90.44 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
Still here and working on loco. Business travel, vacation, summer train meets, and like has slowed me down but I am still chipping away at the machining. One of the things that has slowed me down is I am not happy with rotation of axils with the side robs on them. I found the side rods weren't exactly the same length which contributed to what I would call "stiff" rotation. I machined them again at the same time so they are now same length. Still not happy with feel of the system so am doing the axils again. I am suspicious of the 90 deg alignment of the key ways for wheels on both axils. Any hints on how to do this accurately.
Dan B.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

what is the clearance in your side rode bearings to the pins?

people laugh at me, but I glue the wheels on the axles, using the lathe and 90 degree stops with dial indicators and dead centers of the correct diameter as locators.

on the rare occasion that I feel the need (been a LONG TIME), after the wheels are glued on and all is running smoothly, stand the axle up in the mill and drill in a ROUND DUTCHMAN key/pin and call it a day.

then there was the fellow in Canada who used to put his side rods on in 2 pieces and silver solder them together once they 'ran right'.

cannot remember his name, but have see quite a few of his engines that run like tops...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
cdbailey1313

Post by cdbailey1313 »

Fixed the side rods were a couple of thousandths too long creating the "binding". That is sorted out and the wheels and side rods move smoothly to my satisfaction now. As I have rolled back and forth they seem to roll even smoother...break in I guess.
Dan B.
cdbailey1313

Post by cdbailey1313 »

I have also made progress on the pistons and rod, drive rods and steam chest and other associated components. I had the saddle machined I was not confident I could accurately machine the mounting surface to the boiler. That looks very nice. Next big project is to machine the cylinder's. There a lot of posts on how to do that which I have studied. I have started what I will call the machining plan where I will go set up by set thru the whole thing. I have probably put a good 15 hours into the planning.
Dan B.