Locomotive Identification

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

mmichaud1972

Locomotive Identification

Post by mmichaud1972 »

Working on a locomotive with a friend and hoping to identify it. I know it's a Hudson, does not look like LE castings. It's extremely heavy. We are hoping to restore this beast. Unfortunately I think we are going to have to pull the boiler and check how things look. Any thoughts on Manufacture/castings?

Thanks,
Michael Michaud
Attachments
IMG_5451.JPEG
IMG_5453.JPEG
IMG_5442.JPEG
IMG_5443.JPEG
Allen Mogul
Allen Chloe
Fitchburg and Northern
Baldwin #5
Allen American
Pat Fahey

Re: Locomotive Identification

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi Michael
Judging by the pilot on the locomotive it could just be a Little engines, product. Have you looked between the air pumps on the cylinders, ???for either a casting number, or initials.????
Also try looking where the frame speader is under the smokebox, between the frames, for either a casting number, or something with the initial of ( LE) Little engines . You could also try looking under the sand dome,for a casting number, or either initials.
I still have and old Little engines catalog, catalog NUMBER 400,, in the 3/4" scale section it does show the catalog part numbers starting with the initials ( TQ, then the part number for either the Little engines Pacific or Hudson.
If you could measure the height of the drivers, front truck wheel, and rear truck wheel, maybe that would be of help, to see IF they are the same dimensions, as the little Engines catalog.
As I said I am just taking a guess here, and could be wrong, but it will not hurt to look, Pat WLS.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Surely that is bigger than 3/4” scale.
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

Can you post a picture up close of the running gear and baker valve gear ?

Drivers look LE, not sure on trailing truck. Also the way the brake hangers aren't visible indicates the LE practice of hanging them off the inside of the bottom part of the frame. If it has a barstock frame it is probably at least based on LE drawings. Not sure on the sand dome, but does somewhat appear to be LE. The Klamath/ECL and also LE "old nothern" design has the brake hangers hung on the outside of the top part of the frame "over" the drivers.

Any idea on the age of it?

Cylinders and valve gear could be East Coast/Klamath loco works.

Looks to be 1.5 scale.
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi Michael
The last post Mr. RThomp brought up a good question, what is the track gauge???
If it is 3/4" scale the track gauge should be 3/1/2" from inside rail to inside rail.
If it is One inch scale, track gauge should be 4/3/4" from inside rail to inside rail.
If it is Inch and half scale, track guage should East coast 7/1/4" from inside rail to inside rail.
West coast 7/1/2" from inside rail to inside rail.
Looking forward to your reply, Thank you, Pat WLS.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Pat….definitely looks like 1 - 1/2” scale to me. The sand dome is the Little Engines Northern dome.
Look at the size of the dead blow hammer compared too the trailing truck.
Keith
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

That`s it LVRR2095 the bigger the hammer the bigger the engine or gauge. :D :D :lol: :lol:
steamer
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

I don’t know, Guys.

I was looking at that Crescent wrench lying there, then recall seeing some pretty tricky tools laying around on Jack’s workbenches!!
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

mmichaud1972 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:26 pm Working on a locomotive with a friend and hoping to identify it. I know it's a Hudson, does not look like LE castings. It's extremely heavy. We are hoping to restore this beast. Unfortunately I think we are going to have to pull the boiler and check how things look. Any thoughts on Manufacture/castings?

Thanks,
Michael Michaud
looks like who ever built originally was building it as one of the J3 hudsons. NYC J3's had feedwaters inside the smokebox, box poc drivers and baker valve gear. very nice looking. im not that savy on castings but they could be almost any kind from back in the day. east coast locomotive works, LE, could be one of the missing sets of calvin holt castings for the worlds fair that he was gonna build seven hudsons for. who knows. looks like builder was a fan of using full size plumbing as evidenced by the full size valves and stuff in the cab and thru out the engine. it could also be bob harpur castings. who knows. im just throwing out random guesses. im still learning about all these great builders from back in the day and the stuff they made.
mmichaud1972

Post by mmichaud1972 »

Thanks for the info so far. I should have mentioned it's an 1.5 inch scale 7.5 inch gauge locomotive, about 7 feet long weighs about 850 pounds give or take. Built in 1968 according to the plates on the locomotive. Here are more photos.

Thanks,
Michael
Attachments
IMG_5401.JPEG
IMG_5402.JPEG
IMG_5403.JPEG
IMG_5404.JPEG
IMG_5410.JPEG
IMG_5414.JPEG
Allen Mogul
Allen Chloe
Fitchburg and Northern
Baldwin #5
Allen American
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

Not sure on the cylinders and baker VG but absolutely not little engines.

the frame looks like a LE bar stock frame, the drivers and side rods are also 99% LE, as are the brake hangers. not sure on the trailing truck.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

So it is kit bashed... people used to do that...

Back in the 60's we had a lot of castings from which to choose.

I have an Atlantic in my basement that has quite a few LE castings, but is not a LE design or product.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.