Cabin Fever 2023 - Opinions?

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

SPSteam2491

Re: Cabin Fever 2023 - Opinions?

Post by SPSteam2491 »

JET, while I agree on your statements of more kit offering (something my business at Pacific Design Shops is looking to accomplish), that is a separate topic from Cabin Fever. It would be best to start another topic of conversation rather than derail this one.

In regards to shows like Cabin Fever, I think someone interested in small engines (not trains) would be disappointed in attending a train meet due to the lack of small engines. While there is some overlap, the best venue to show off our miniature trains it at a railroad where they can ride them. The amount of work it takes to transport the equipment, setup the equipment, possibly set up a track, and sit at a booth all day to answer curious questions is an enormous task. And if the goal is to attract new members, the juice is not worth the squeeze (something many have noted above).

As for vendors for the live steam hobby and not attending this show as much, the above point is also valid. Far more sales are generated at train meets for those specifically selling train items and is a better use of time and effort. Speaking as a vendor, setting up a booth, bringing product, manning the booth all day just to have people look at the offerings without purchasing due to the different demographic is not worth it. Yes it does provide exposure but I have found social media is a far better avenue for that due to the higher amount of targeted exposure and the almost $0 cost it takes. Attending train meets as a vendor in the train hobby does generate sales from those without access to social media and is worth the effort. Not only to deliver previously purchased product, but also provide exposure to the exact people you are targeting to generate sales and interest.

I would certainly like to attend the Cabin Fever show someday but I wouldn't go as a vendor. The RC construction equipment is really cool and I know my boys would really enjoying watching them dig in the dirt.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
JET

Re: Cabin Fever 2023 - Opinions?

Post by JET »

Oh thank you for replying, but I don't have any problems actually building things with my skills. It's just the other things I already mentioned, but thanks anyways. I would supply kits myself (if I could afford to) but I'm disabled now with a very very very bad back + severe 24/7 excruciating pain the likes of which you wouldn't wish on most people :cry: I'm almost 60 & with the bad back it takes me soooooo much longer now to do even the most simplest chores because the pain is too much to bear for even sitting up to eat a darn sammish :cry: But I love building things and fixing things, it makes me feel better also. Especially when I repair something for my Wife :)