newbie wiring help for ENCO mill drill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

taem

newbie wiring help for ENCO mill drill

Post by taem »

Newbie here. I have a second or perhaps third hand ENCO (Taiwan) 91000 mill drill. The PO had replaced the stock switch with a simple spst light switch which wasn't up to the job judging from the slightly melted contacts. Anyway, it does not allow me to have a reverse function-it is simply on off. The motor itself seems to have the ability to run forward and reverse. The data from the motor are as follows (I can't seem to do the right thing to post a photo) made in Taiwan ac motor 110/220 single phase 1 hp 1725 rpm 15.4 amps, 4 pole and one external capacitor. It has 6 wires entering sealed box. My questions are as follows:

what type of switch do I need--drum switch with an external on off switch or just a 3 position on-off-on switch? How would I wire either of these? Can you point me to a good source for more information.

And of course, if there are pointers for this mill itself I'd be happy to hear them

Thanks
Steggy

Re: newbie wiring help for ENCO mill drill

Post by Steggy »

taem wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:41 pm Newbie here. I have a second or perhaps third hand ENCO (Taiwan) 91000 mill drill...made in Taiwan ac motor 110/220 single phase 1 hp 1725 rpm 15.4 amps, 4 pole and one external capacitor. It has 6 wires entering sealed box.

The rotation direction of a single-phase motor of the type you have is determined by how the starting winding is connected relative to the running winding. Hence it is necessary to reverse the starting winding’s polarity to change motor direction. A three-position, center-off drum switch made for use with a three-phase motor can be pressed into service for this application. Alternatively, two switches could be used: a double-pole, single-throw switch to apply and remove power from the motor, and a double-pole, double-throw switch to reverse the starting winding connections.

The trouble with using conventional switches for this sort of thing is the motor’s starting current is very high, about 10 times the full-load running current. Regular household-type toggle switches won’t last long in this sort of application. You actually need a pretty substantial switch to control this motor. For that reason and others, you might want to consider investing in a variable-frequency drive (VFD) and three-phase motor for your application.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I fixed mine with a drum switch as described before VFDs were generally available.

Get one built in north america if possible. I have had a couple of Asian imports fall apart prematurely.

At the same time, move it to a place more accessible

You will need to research the wiring diagram on the motor... assuming there is one.

Can help...but need the diagram to start

Do a Google search on WIRE DRUM SWITCH TO SINGLE PHASE MOTOR
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
rmac

Post by rmac »

I have the same mill that's set up with a forward-off-reverse drum switch. I can make a diagram showing how it's wired, but before I do that, can you confirm that the motor nameplate and the visible wiring on your machine both match the pictures below?

-- Russell Mac
Attachments
motor_wiring_2.jpg
motor_wiring_1.jpg
motor_nameplate.jpg
taem

Post by taem »

Yes, that looks exactly like mine. I would greatly appreciate seeing how you have set up yours. btw, I tried to post pictures-what is the trick? I had jpeg images,hit the image button on the bar, and only got the words [img][img] in the body of the text. couldn't find much help in the faqs
Thanks in advance
rmac

Post by rmac »

To post pictures, click the "Full Editor & Preview" button below the text entry area. Then click the "Attachments" tab, then the "Add files" button. That will open a "File Upload" dialog. Select the pictures you want to post and then click "Open" to post them to the forum. It's easier than it sounds. :D

I'll go ahead and make a diagram showing how my mill is wired up and post it here, probably later today.

-- Russell Mac
rmac

Post by rmac »

rmac wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:38 pm I'll go ahead and make a diagram showing how my mill is wired up and post it here, probably later today.
Well, that was easy! Instead of opening up all the covers to examine the wiring, I found a couple of diagrams that my dad had made when he installed the switch back in 1998. The first shows the original motor wiring, and the second shows the setup with the drum switch installed.

I believe the red and black arrows on the second diagram are supposed to show the current flow in the two different switch positions. Note also that it shows the make and model of the drum switch he used.

taem, if you haven't discovered it yet, you can enlarge the pictures by clicking on them.

This is probably everything you need to know. If not, ask away and maybe Bill (the smart guy who knows stuff) or I (the guy with the working example) can help further.

-- Russell Mac
Attachments
original_mill_wiring.png
mill_wiring_with_switch.png
taem

Post by taem »

wow that is great! and thanks for the photo posting info
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Giggle.. same switch and same decade
taem

Post by taem »

could you show me where you have mounted the drum switch?
rmac

Post by rmac »

taem wrote: Could you show me where you have mounted the drum switch?
Dear old Dad made a place to mount the switch by attaching a little piece of greasy plywood to the housing that surrounds the pulleys. Two bolts attach the switch to the plywood; four more attach the plywood to the machine.

drum_switch_side.jpg
drum_switch_top.jpg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Grease keeps the plywood from rotting.

I mounted mine on the right side of the knee, opposite to the lift crank.

I have a bad shoulder and avoid reaching up as much as possible.

It's amazing the expedient, short term things we do that last for decades and are passed on to another generation.

Question: do you know the location of the drive belt cover?