One Last Shorty

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

djjh87

Re: One Last Shorty

Post by djjh87 »

Carl, what a great build that should inspire more individuals to be creative and get in the shop and occupy their minds and hands. It helps to make the world go away! Hopefully #7 racks up a lot of miles in the future,
Jim
No problems just solutions.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Showed the end photo to the wife.

“They sure did a good job. Is that at the museum?”

Then I showed her the photo with both cars on the rack.

“Holy cow!”
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

makinsmoke wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:37 am Showed the end photo to the wife.

“They sure did a good job. Is that at the museum?”

Then I showed her the photo with both cars on the rack.

“Holy cow!”
When Carl had those cars at the recent show he mentioned, I took some photos of he standing next to them like a proud papa holding his newborn child. :D Those photos should be posted for posterity. :twisted:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
NP317

Post by NP317 »

And I am waiting not-so patiently to see those photos of Carl and Cids.
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Steggy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:18 am Those photos should be posted for posterity.
When?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:58 pm
Steggy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:18 am Those photos should be posted for posterity.
When?

H
That’s up to Carl—it’s his topic. I don’t want to inadvertently steal his thunder. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Steggy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:35 pm
Harold_V wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:58 pm
When?

H
That’s up to Carl—it’s his topic. I don’t want to inadvertently steal his thunder. :D
I, for one, would like to see them, if for no other reason, to put a face on the name we've read and learned so much from.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

SHOW PIX

Well guys...THANK YOU! Really appreciate the kudos and comments. If nothing else, can only hope my efforts inspire others to do something on their own...or better. If not passenger car related, then at least use some of the tips, tricks, techniques described here and use those in their model building efforts.

One is only limited by their abilities and capabilities...both of which can be resolved by working with or following more advanced model builders or working with persons with perhaps a better equipped shop. There are many ways to get from Point A to Point B. Worst that can happen...is NOT to try!

Here's a few of the photos Steggy took from the recent train show...

xDSCF5880.JPG
xDSCF5880.JPG (163.84 KiB) Viewed 3170 times
xDSCF5873.JPG
xDSCF5873.JPG (192.79 KiB) Viewed 3170 times
I, for one, would like to see them, if for no other reason, to put a face on the name we've read and learned so much from.
H
And then Harold...just for you...the rear "face" of car #7...and the front face of the #7 (and other shorties) builder.

xDSCF5879.JPG
xDSCF5879.JPG (171.31 KiB) Viewed 3170 times

Here's a few more views from the train show that I took...

IMG_7658.JPG
IMG_7658.JPG (283.61 KiB) Viewed 3170 times

Here's a "ground level" view of the railing and the rear observation deck overhead lighting.

IMG_7678.JPG
IMG_7678.JPG (328.81 KiB) Viewed 3170 times

ENJOY! Will try to get some photos of the (3) cars together as soon as I'm steaming once again. The 2023 operating season isn't far away. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
datman

Post by datman »

Beautiful work!!!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks!
H
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

DAYLIGHT DEBUT

Well guys, was a moment several months in the making. While 2 of 3 shorties were displayed at the All American Train Show last March, outside temps here in the Chi town area were finally warm enough for some outside rail action. Couple that with the fact that it was finally warm enough to fire the Rutland.

After a boiler wash a few weeks ago, fired the Rutland for the 1st time in 2023 last Thursday. This, to make sure all functions were ready to go and clean out the last of the boiler wash. Had a few items that needed follow up and was able to resolve those without much difficulty. They were mostly an annoyance.

May 20th, was the Steam Only Run at the train club. The day started with temps in the 50's and warmed slowly during the day. The Rutland was basically the ONLY loco on the rails. Another club member with a Connor beam engine waited for a boiler certification only to find his feed water pump wasn't working (failed O-ring). Pretty much left the entire railroad to the Rutland and the shorties.

Would also point out, the Rutland had several items sent out for nickel plating during the Winter months. Now had nickel silver plated details highlighting both ends of the train. Plated items on the front end reduced some of the locomotive "brassy" look as well.

Made up the train...that had all the makings for a mixed train on the club railroad. This is the case as the stock car always follows the loco with propane fuel and air brake provisions. Whistled off...and was able to capture all three passenger cars together for the 1st time. So, here's how the train looked while out after "beans", enjoying the 60 deg. temperatures.

IMG_7855.JPG
IMG_7855.JPG (588.55 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
IMG_7862.JPG
IMG_7862.JPG (614.02 KiB) Viewed 2664 times

Finally, a "rods down" photo of the Rutland.

IMG_7863.JPG
IMG_7863.JPG (633.95 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
IMG_7865.jpg
IMG_7865.jpg (473.94 KiB) Viewed 2664 times

Sitting down in Carlson Creek, got a bit of sun glare while looking up at #7.

IMG_7867.JPG
IMG_7867.JPG (361.11 KiB) Viewed 2664 times

Overall, think the last photo of the day was my favorite photo of the day...still in Carlson Creek. I got lucky.

IMG_7869.JPG
IMG_7869.JPG (467.5 KiB) Viewed 2664 times

Honest Dave was on hand to needle me a bit. Said there had to be something wrong with a stock car running in front of the passenger cars. My response...where did he think the prime rib dinner was coming from for the company prez? Would make for some fresh meat right off the hoof!

The Rutland performed well. Probably ran some 4.5 "fun-filled" miles for the day. Even turned the throttle over to a Junior member that asked if he could run the Rutland. Gave me chance to stretch my legs and see something I don't normally see...my train running around the track!

Can only hope those of you following this thread enjoyed the build and had fun watching these creations become real, live, shorty passenger car models. As Peaslecreek hinted...Thomas S. Bullock...would have been proud to see something he might have envisioned running behind his little train on the Sierra Railroad. Enjoy! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

It was common practice to put stock cars as close behind the motive power as possible to reduce slack action causing injuries to the animals.

In mixed train service you would see exactly your consist.

By the way, congratulations on your beautiful train.

Just stunning!