One Last Shorty

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

ccvstmr

One Last Shorty

Post by ccvstmr »

Hello Fellas...

If you recall, I wrote an article for Chaski back in April 2020 about building a couple of passenger cars patterned after the Sierra RR 32 foot shorties that ran on the Angels Branch in CA. Cars #5 and #6, were originally built by the Holman Bros. in Frisco before the turn of the LAST century. The cars still exist, but believe #5 (the combine) was condemned and longer operates in service. The old wood beam frame just ain't what it used to be. This is a problem when the basis for a model and information therein are 2000 miles away from the Chi town area. Not exactly your weekend excursion. Fortunately, I made contact with several persons out that way that provided invaluable information to start AND complete that build.

After a couple years of service, the cars still photograph well...sunlight pending.

IMG_5394.jpg

When construction of #5 and #6 was completed, sent some photos to an old train club member that moved to the SE part of the US. When he saw the photos, he sent back word that he had a set of those old time passenger car truck castings...AND...would I be interested? Didn't take more than a moment to respond..."make me an offer I can't refuse". The offer was more than acceptable and soon enough, a box of castings showed up on my door step (might have shared the following photo in the other article). Didn't know what I was going to do with those trucks, but better to have and consider the possibilities than let the castings disappear into hobbyland.

Little Central Pass Truck Castings.jpg

The original patterns for this truck were developed by former Illinois Live Steamer member, Oakley Little. Hence, the "LC" insignia on various castings which stood for Oak's railroad...Little Central. Oak either gave or sold the patterns to Morris of Morris Switcher who changed the patterns to make easier to cast. My opin...that was a mistake. Should have left well enough alone. Don't know if Morris did his own casting or sent patterns to a foundry. Either way, he opted NOT to cast the elliptical springs or the single-piece side frames with pedestals.

When looking at the above photo, the only parts used for these trucks were: journals, swing centers, journal box covers, swing center spreaders, the elliptical spring castings, the side frames and the car body centers. The aluminum cast equalizers were replaced with EDM cut steel equalizers. Didn't trust the cast aluminum equalizers after machining to last long in service. The integral upper/lower spring supports were replaced with supports turned from aluminum rod and attached to the equalizers. Brake shoes were replaced by some cast bronze brake shoes from Mercer Loco Works. Was the casting set then worth the purchase? You betcha.

In fact, friend Honest Dave has a line on another set of the original Oak Little castings. Don't know how many casting sets were poured. And sadly, persons that might know are no longer with us. We know of (3) sets in use out in Oswego, IL. I have (3) sets under the shorties. Dave is trying to finalize the purchase of an original set, but also has (2) sets of the modified Morris castings that were used under his Canadian Pacific passenger cars. These too were described in a Chaski write-up.

So, before I get into the design/construction of what I call car #7...the 3rd shorty...if there's any interest to see how the original trucks went together, can certainly side track and show/explain that.

Once again, y'all welcome to come along for the ride on this project. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Odyknuck

Re: One Last Shorty

Post by Odyknuck »

Very nice
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

For me, well made trucks are one of the more interesting parts of a passenger car.
DRS_RR

Post by DRS_RR »

Carl, thanks for bringing us along with the journey of constructing this car. Look forward to those little nuggets of information that can be used at a later date.
Dave
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I agree with Dave: Thanks, Carl.
I always read and enjoy your posts.
RussN
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

Post by ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES »

Carl the first set of Morris Caboose trucks were bought by a friend of mine he bought the first Morris diesel and the first caboose and his name was Larry volzer of Northeast Ohio live steamers, when Larry passed away in 2010 I believe one of the club members bought the Caboose and another member bought the Morris diesel is still in the club.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

ccvstmr, a little off topic however I noticed you have a stock car behind the tender. Is that a propane fuel car?
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Well guys...for those that responded, thanks for your kind words on the previous cars. Looking forward, think you'll be surprised by some of what's coming up on car #7.

At this point, decided to take a "pass" on the old time passenger car truck write-up. Can always come back at a later time for that. Those that know me, know I've got a few photos saved that detail the truck work. Suffice it to say, the trucks were a project unto themselves, but sure lend credibility to the time period of the cars. For old times sake, here's a photo of one of Oak Little's LC trucks under car #5.

IMG_3931.JPG

These trucks feature a wood beams (except for the cast alum side frame), ball bearings, proper working swing center orientation, sprung equalizers, a spring-in-a-spring suspension and outboard working straight air brake beams. AND...the trucks track well!

For now, will be moving along. Carl B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Odyknuck wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:44 am ccvstmr, a little off topic however I noticed you have a stock car behind the tender. Is that a propane fuel car?
Ody...a quick little side track is not a problem. To answer your question...YES...the stock car behind the tender is a "utility" car. The design was based on a 40 foot (nominal) Milwaukee stock car. Car dimensions were stretched slightly in one direction to fit a propane cylinder inside the car.

Selected the stock car design because it's "naturally" ventilated. The car can carry either a 20# or 30# horizontal propane cylinder. Has room at the back end of the car for (3) modules: 1) battery module for loco lighting and other power accessories, 2) air compressor module with reservoir and cut out pressure switch for a straight air brake system. 50-60 psi air is train-lined up to the brake stand in the cab where the pressure is regulated and sent back down the train brake pipe to connector cars with brakes, and 3) a sound module with 4 or 5" speakers, auto amplifier and CD Walkman disk player to play bluegrass or other railroad-y type entertainment. In short, the car is a rolling entertainment center.

Sorry, have photos of the (3) modules, but for some reason, never took a photo of the "loaded" car. How's that? Thanks for asking. Carl B.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Thanks for the response Carl, as I was looking at using a stock car for my Mikado for the ventilation reason you spoke of.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

A NEW START

Okay, time to get going on car #7. Having completed car #5 (combine) and car #6 (coach), had another set of trucks to put under car. What kind of car would that be? Didn't really want construct another combine or coach. Already been there, done that. Needed something idea...but still wanted to stick with the same "look and feel" of the other two cars...and wanted to stay with the other car dimensions.

Had a friend...we'll call him Peaslecreek...that had previously provided info on #5 and #6 when requested. He started to send photos of rear end observation cars for ideas. Keep in mind, the Sierra RR never had a shorty observation car. Didn't take long to decide to build a version of such a car to go with #5 and #6. That was an easy decision. Was time to think about what all was going to be included in this car. So, started to make a list..

1) use the same plywood sub floor dimensions with the same truck centers as before.
2) use the same steel fabricated corner steps as before and end beams.
3) since the car rear end was going to be an observation deck, the stairs had to be covered. Will need hinged deck plates.
4) can't have a rear end observation deck without some kind of railing. Will need a "special" railing.
5) rear railing would need a brake lever. The brake wheel at the "other end" of the car would be a folding type.
6) doors and door trim would be made of wood instead of aluminum plate.
7) wood doors would need special door tread plates.
8) would install "nice" looking marker lamps on the rear end that could be powered on-steady for night running, or connected to a remote brake unit for mixed train switching operations. Marker lamps would be illuminated when the rear end train brakes were set. The marker lamps would have to be hinged and fold inward for storage due to storage facility width limitations.
9) would create new round top side/end windows.
10) would use colored glazing in the window round tops and the clerestory windows.
11) would install a dome light over the observation deck.
12) other details would be added that would support such a period car.

That was no short list! While the trucks, steel center sill and floor board were pretty much completed back in 2021...construction on the rest of the car started after New Years 2022. The car was basically completed by mid October...except to wait for some parts that were sent out for some "special attention". Those didn't get back until just before New Years 2023. Several hours after that, the car WAS completed. As such, the bulk of the design/fabrication work was done in less than a year. Can say, by that time, I was ready to move along to something else.

Now that there was a list of design/build criteria...was time to put ideas into reality. Make no mistake...as the car was progressing...more ideas would come up and details would be added. Was then time to start making saw dust and chips. Carl B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Odyknuck wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:34 pm Thanks for the response Carl, as I was looking at using a stock car for my Mikado for the ventilation reason you spoke of.
Ody...you're welcome. In fact, car #5 (combine) was designed AND built to carry a 20# propane cylinder as well as the battery and air compressor module (no room for the sound system). Don't know that I'll ever drop a cylinder in there, but the floor has a screened area about the size of the tank and there are ventilation screens in several of the clerestory windows. The "thru floor" plumbing is in place. Would just need to install the hose and propane cylinder main regulator in the car. And then...light the fire and kick the tires. Not sure I'll ever do that...but it could happen. Carl B.