One Last Shorty

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

djjh87

Re: One Last Shorty

Post by djjh87 »

Hopefully you got a third chair to fit you so you can take in what you have accomplished. But there's more? Jim
No problems just solutions.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

:shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
RussN
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

djjh87 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:30 am Hopefully you got a third chair to fit you so you can take in what you have accomplished. But there's more? Jim
Jim...3rd chair is right behind the Rutland cab! I know what's at the back of the train. When I decide to stop and take a break, can stand back and see what others think. Carl B.
NP317 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:08 am :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
RussN
Russ...is that s'pose to be Moe, Larry 'n Curly? :roll:

Thanks for the comments guys. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Moe, Larry & Curly?
'Hadn't thought about that, but it could be describing 3 of the people posting in this thread!
:P
RussN
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

DETAILS - So tired, I'm yAWNING! Part 1

Figured this last detail description might take 2 posts. So here goes. Will start by bringing up a previously posted photo from the back end of the Guatemalan Ry rear end observation car...the Elisa.

FEGUAguastatoya950-1.jpg
FEGUAguastatoya950-1.jpg (85.59 KiB) Viewed 3023 times

See it now? Car #7 needed a rear end awning to finish off the rear deck details. Problem was, I'm not versed in sewing. BUT...my wife is a professionally trained seamstress from Europe. Yes, she can do more than patch the rips and tears in my clothes and sew buttons back on when needed. Decided to enlist her help for this effort.

One aspect showed up soon enough...a seamstress and engineer DO NOT think along the same lines when it comes to design, layout and fabrication! My wife had a better understanding of how the fabric will react when needle and thread are applied. So, once I explained what I was looking to do, had to step back and let her do her thing.

The process started by taking a piece of 1/8" diameter brass rod and bending that to the contour of the observation deck roof extension underside. This would become the awning hanger rod. What became apparent soon enough...there's hardly any straight pieces for the wire form that would eventually hold the awning in place.

IMG_5892.JPG
IMG_5892.JPG (291.24 KiB) Viewed 3023 times

Made a cardboard pattern of the awning because the corners could be "bent" and held in place under the end of the car. Also figured out the width of the scalloped edging so the there were no half scallops.

Wife and I went out to a fabric store to get some material. The fabric had to be a lightweight enough so it could be cut and sewn. Canvas material would have been too thick. Fabric also had to be something "classy" looking for the back of the train. Found some fabric and then figured I better get out of her way. At that point, turned my attention to something else that would be needed for this...curtain and awning mounting clips. Will come back to the fabric awning results soon enough.

Remembered how Honest Dave and I made brackets for the rectangular loop brake hangers on the old time passenger car trucks. Here's a photo from one of Oakley Little's passenger cars. Can see the brake beam rectangular loop and hanger attached to the truck end beam. Those loops were made with 1/8" diameter wire. Could use the same fixtures to make the awning and curtain hanging clips.

IMG_8145.JPG
IMG_8145.JPG (221.8 KiB) Viewed 3023 times

Honest Dave made a fixture for stamping out the brake hangers. All that was needed now was a clip with pocket to secure the hanger rods. Here's a photo showing the steps while forming the clips. From left to right: 1) cut a piece of 1/4" wide x .030" thick brass flat stock...about 3/4" to 1" long. 2) put the flat pieces in my 12" 3-in-1 brake/shear/roll, square it up and bend a 90. 3) use the forming fixture to press the half loop for the rod. 4) cut off the excess next to the loop by holding the rod hanger up against the shear blade. 5) set a 1/4" piece of metal against the shear blade and slipped the clip under the spacer to cut off the excess on the mounting tab. Then, locate, drill and debur the mounting hole for a #2 brass hex head lag screw. Would later give all the clips a good sand blast and paint.

IMG_7155.JPG
IMG_7155.JPG (176.97 KiB) Viewed 3023 times

Here's a photo of the forming fixture in action...

IMG_7152.JPG
IMG_7152.JPG (235.88 KiB) Viewed 3023 times

And here's how the clips would fit over/around the curtain and awning rods...

IMG_7156.JPG
IMG_7156.JPG (107.09 KiB) Viewed 3023 times

Next entry, will get the finished awning mounted. Carl B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

DETAILS - Still yAWNING! Part 2

Believe I'm about at the end of the line describing various details for car #7. Will finish up with awning and related items.

In the last post, was describing making the awning and curtain rod clips. Knew a bunch of the clips would be needed for the curtain rods and then added 5 clips for the awning. That way, the awning could be supported at the ends, at the corners and in the center of the end arch. This also meant, the awning would have to be made in several pieces to clear the clips. Else, the fabric would bunch up or get pushed out of the way where the clip was located. And THAT...was NOT acceptable to the resident seamstress!

Once all the tooling was set up, cranked out a bunch of clips. This went relatively fast. When drilling the mounting holes, made left hand and right hand clips depending on which side of the windows the curtains would be supported. Why? Well, there might be a void between the window and the car side window cut out. Wanted the clip screw to be anchored solidly.

IMG_7157.JPG
IMG_7157.JPG (216.67 KiB) Viewed 2950 times

Here's how the side curtains came out with the rod and clips to hold these in place. Used a wood spacing block to support the rod and locate the clip mounting holes. This, to keep the rod as level as possible.

IMG_7184.JPG
IMG_7184.JPG (169.43 KiB) Viewed 2950 times

From outside the car, the side curtains block out any view of the interior. If/when running at night, the muslin material was still illuminated without being a sheer (see thru) fabric.

IMG_7196.JPG
IMG_7196.JPG (269.71 KiB) Viewed 2950 times

And then, how did things turn out on the observation deck? Other than a few wrinkles that my wife was constantly trying to straighten....want to say the end result turned out as good as can be. After all, this was the 3rd attempt at making the awning. Was told afterward...my wife didn't want to do any more fabric work for the trains! Gotta take what we get...

IMG_7176.JPG
IMG_7176.JPG (323.56 KiB) Viewed 2950 times

And...

IMG_7178.JPG
IMG_7178.JPG (321.18 KiB) Viewed 2950 times

Now, if you want...go back and compare with the Elisa observation/parlor car awning.

Next posting...will bring everything together and see how car #7's first exposure to daylight turned out. The only rail service experienced so far, was from the unloading hoist to the engine house for Winter storage. Then, removed #5 (combine) and #7 to take to the All American Train show last month and then back to the club property. In another month or so, hope to get some photos of #7 following up the train along the right of way. Carl B.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

It won't be long before you move in lol
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Odyknuck wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:57 pm It won't be long before you move in lol
Ody...don't think the inside of car #7 is anywhere near large enough for me to squeeze in...and the observation deck shortened the car interior even more! However, there is room towards the back of the car for a remote brake unit that ties into the brake pipe on the car for switching ops. And the remote brake unit can be configured to activate the rear marker lamps when the brakes are set. Outside of that...maybe a first aid kit and other utility needs. But thanks for thinking I was small enough to squeeze in there! Carl B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

DETAILS - NO MORE!

Well guys, thanks for joining me on this journey for car #7's construction. But the time has come to stop the tease (yeah, I was playin' with y'all and holding out on some things to the end). Now, was time to show what happened when all the elements of the #7 build came together.

Had a somewhat "warm-er" day last January where it was time to move #7 out of the basement shop. Knew there was a train show coming up in March in the Chi-town area. Was going to take cars #7 and #5 (combine) to the show. As such, wanted to move #5 up to the engine house. Would be easier to load the (2) cars by way of the steaming bay lead-in track and hoist. Just in case, there was snow on the ground and the car barn door couldn't be opened.

For final assembly, carried the (2) trucks up to the garage, the (2) couplers, (1) roof section and then the car body came up. Wife helped carry the car body so I didn't over-stress my back. It's not that the car body was heavy (maybe 50-60 pounds)...just awkward. In the garage, had some horses set up with a wooden track panel. The car body was set on blocks. Trucks replaced the blocks underneath. Car body king pins were set in the truck bolsters. Inserted a fender washer and "R" clip as retainers for each truck. Connected the air brake lines to the trucks via Clippard quick connectors. Couplers were installed and the roof set in place.

Then, had a 20 minute drive to the club property where #7 got its first taste of sunshine. And here's what it looked like...

xxIMG_7461.jpg
xxIMG_7461.jpg (338.64 KiB) Viewed 2867 times

#5 and #7 together...

IMG_7466.JPG
IMG_7466.JPG (403.81 KiB) Viewed 2867 times

#7 rear end close-er up...and yes, that rear railing really has some shine to it! Might have as much invested in that railing as the rest of the car. There's no doubt in my mind...it was worth all the effort!

IMG_7467.JPG
IMG_7467.JPG (346.14 KiB) Viewed 2867 times

Side-ish view of the two cars ready to go to the train show in time...

IMG_7468.JPG
IMG_7468.JPG (486.99 KiB) Viewed 2867 times

One last photo of #5 and #7...

IMG_7463.JPG
IMG_7463.JPG (527.87 KiB) Viewed 2867 times

Thus brings the build explanation to a close. Only thing left to do now is...wait until the Rutland is ready to steam this year and tag the rear of the train with 3 shorties! There's a "music" module that sits in the stock car with an air compressor for brakes and a battery module for power. The music module has an old CD player. And YES...I do have the soundtrack for Petticoat Junction! When I get some outdoor photos of the (3) cars, will show those photos when I have something to share.

Appreciate all those in Chaski-land that hung in there thru all the descriptions, explanations, long-winded epistles and of course, the photos. Thanks for the comments and questions when those came up. One nice thing about having a library of photos...can always bring something up from the archives when someone asks for more info. Don't have any trade secrets here...so happy to share. If someone wants to do something similar...go for it! There's no greater satisfaction than watching something you built from the ground up...and then sit back and watch such creations roll down the track!

Take care and thanks for your patience. Carl B.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Carl. I've enjoyed following you on this journey.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Well Carl it sure looks like you could live in it lol. It has been an enjoyable build to follow, thanks for taking the time to show us. Simply beautiful workmanship! Now get that Rutland Done!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Carl:
A journey well travelled! You outperformed yourself with Car #7.
And an honor to be included in the adventure.

Thanks again for sharing with all of us here.
RussN