Anyone else paying attention to ChatGPT ?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Atkinson_Railroad

Anyone else paying attention to ChatGPT ?

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

ChatGPT caught my attention via a radio story before the Christmas season.

The artificial intelligence bot is being promoted as a tool that can understand your conversations and provide meaningful responses.
Use your friend “Google”, and search the term ChatGPT if you’re not familiar with this new “thang”.

In thinking about this in my brain as a 14-year-old, (I was 14 in 1974) it begs to be tried out on an Internet forum.

This thread was not created using the App, but as you read this post, how do you know it was not written using the system?
I could tell you it wasn’t… but how do you know for sure?

Realizing the economics of trying to do something, (make a product, provide a service, etc.) continually demands the shifting of methods
and tactics to stay afloat in this big ole world.

I'm thinking...

What a novel thing to consider… send a note crafted by a bot. That will save me time, and alleviate having to do another time robbing task of staring at a computer screen (blank sheet of paper) pondering what to say or express.

Now what?
I don’t know. Maybe someone can post a reply to this thread using the app.

John
Bill Shields

Re: Anyone else paying attention to ChatGPT ?

Post by Bill Shields »

gee...and I thought that using a computer / keyboard / e-mail -> WAS saving time over traditional pen / paper / snail-mail.

what will the next excuse for 'a misunderstanding'? ->

"sorry, my bot wrote that, and I am not responsible for the views presented therein"

:shock:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

When I can submit to ChatGPT a dimensioned drawing, info on the metal stock, and the info of my machine tool to use,
and it can then produce the needed machining process plan,
then I might consider using it.

I have read that teachers are concerned about ChatGPT. How do they know the students' submissions were their own?
And I've seen the same concerns when electronics changed from discrete components to integrated circuits.
When is individual originality lost for the sake of more advanced creations?

Same questions & no coherant answers? ...
RussNz
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Between this guy (attached), and the topic of this thread, I’m recalling the ‘80s song declaring “…video killed the DJ.”

Perhaps I need to spend less time striving to make sense of it all because it’s not humanly possible.
Paul Harvey even admitted he didn’t understand how “radio” actually worked.

Appreciate the replies gentlemen. I’m heading back to work.

John
Attachments
RAPID TCT EVENT.JPG
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Spoken like a true chatbot
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

“New technology isn’t necessarily good technology.” —Instructor at the U.S. Navy Class ‘A’ ET Service School, Great Lakes Naval Training Center, December 1964

“Show me your ‘foolproof’ machine and I’ll show you a fool who can break it.” —Design engineer at Philco-Ford, c. 1968
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
TomB

Post by TomB »

About 2 days ago I read an article that explored how good ChatGPT was when used like a somewhat lazy 4th or 8th grader might employ it. The article reported on a test where typical questions were provided to children who had to write a short paragraph in response. They had selected 3 children and ChatGPT for each test run and readers could enter which submissions were from real children and which one was from the ChatGPT. The questions were what I expect would be typical for 4th or 8th graders. I was surprised to learn that in the 4th grade category I could on every test cycle identify which was 4th grader and which was AI. (Mostly because 4th graders have a 4th grader's vocabulary and grammar expertise so I could detect the three real kid submissions leaving the 4th to be the AI submissions.) But when dealing with the 8th grader's submissions I got all the results wrong. There was not clues in 8th graders command of English that separated their submissions from the AI generated submissions. It certainly portends difficulty in grading high school and college writing assignments.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Another one....
rmac

Post by rmac »

Could a computer program distinguish between text written by a human and text written by ChatGPT? Maybe .
TomB

Post by TomB »

rmac wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:26 am Could a computer program distinguish between text written by a human and text written by ChatGPT? Maybe .
The link tucked under the 'maybe' is really insightful. Thanks for finding it and bringing it to my attention. I was a system engineer for 52 years at IBM, Loral & LM doing the same job, The companies sold my division repeatedly. Probably 10% of my job was writing proposals to the Dept of Defense. The process involved receiving a DoD request for proposal, including detailed requirements, dividing the requirements into sections and assigning a writer to address each section. Then all sections were passed to editors, typically qualified Tech Writers, who massaged the engineer's text into writing suitable for the customer. I started out as a poor writer but one having the advantage of seeing Tech Writers fix all my errors. From reading my before and after versions I learned to write quite effectively. That growing up and then old left me with a good sense of what makes for good writing. As my earlier note expounds I could tell the difference between 4th and 8th grade writing compared with ChatGPT. But after reading the referenced article I recognize that I was using one of the methods that was described, the difference in complexity. But when I consider the capability of ChatGPT to fool a reader I don't think it would be successful in general. From training I found that I had to reread/edit everything I wrote specifically smoothing sentence structure, subject/verb tense agreement and auto-spell corrections that did not make sense. After that I don't think the natural bursteness of first draft writing would survive.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

spoken like a true non-bot writer....giggle

in addition to this, i have to admit that I write in 2-3 sentence bullet points since that appears to be the comprehension level of most folks these days - especially when most of my recipients (for several decades), were non-English-as-first-language tech people.

trying to read a long paragraph was often difficult.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:30 pm trying to read a long paragraph was often difficult.
Compounded by those who improperly use upper and/or lower case, especially when there's also a lack of punctuation. (This is NOT directed towards our friend and reader TomB).

If an individual makes an inquiry and isn't willing to provide legible and logical content, presented so it isn't confusing and misleading, why should I spend any of my valuable time on something that obviously has little to no value to the inquirer? If it means something and is important, provide respectable and not confusing information so those who may be able to assist don't have to ask endless questions in order for them to provide an acceptable response. Remember-----those who read your inquiry have no idea what you are thinking unless you provide them with that information.

Just sayin'

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.