Help with TEXAS boiler maker name

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Help with TEXAS boiler maker name

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hoping someone in Texas can help me with some internet archaeology. I am trying to confirm the name of a long gone 1950’s-1960’s National Board certified boiler shop formerly possibly doing business in Houston, Texas, having the initials “I.A.T.L”.

I have a 12” gauge Ottaway steam locomotive, made in 1950. The boiler maker (IATL) placed an ASME S stamp on the backhead, signifying it is an ASME code boiler, manufacture number of “50”, and a manufacture date of 1949. The initials indicate the name. However, I have not been able to find a NB registration number on the backhead, hence need to identify the name of the boiler maker to trace the boiler history through NB records.

Here is the full set of info the boiler maker stamped the on the backhead:

T.L. PRD NO. 50
TEX. I.A.T.L. SER NO. 50
MAX P. 160 LBS PSI
H.S. 15.1 SQ FT
YR BLT. 1949

I assume “IATL” are the initials of the boiler manufacturer. Has anyone ever heard of this company? If so, can you provide any detail to confirm their name and what city they were located ?

Please note, I am aware that “Radiometric Laboratory” in Houston, produced many code boilers for Ottaway Amusement Company. However this initial abbreviation does not appear to represent Radiometric labs.

Alternately, does anyone know where I can source, or lookup, a 1950 Houston Phone Directory. Iam guessing whoever IATL was, could be found in the phone book of the 1950’s.

Hoping someone will remember who IATL was….

Thanks much for any information you may be able to provide.

Regards,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Pwallace

Re: Help with TEXAS boiler maker name

Post by Pwallace »

Sounds like the manufacturer was Industrial Welding & Testing Laboratory of Houston, Texas.
steamingon

Post by steamingon »

Hello,

Manufactures are not required to register the boiler with the National Board. It is an option

The ASME allows the manufacturer to use a abbreviation of its name on stamping and name plates provided it was listed upon the registration process.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Not much help here.

From a 1949 Houston directory at a genealogy data base. The bottom of one column continued in the next column.
Attachments
houston boilers.jpg
houston boilers.jpg (19.04 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Pwallace wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:00 am Sounds like the manufacturer was Industrial Welding & Testing Laboratory of Houston, Texas.
Pwwallace007: Hoorah! This is it! Instant recognition. I remember seeing that name before - years ago. But couldn’t for the life of me remember the name or where….

As a side note- the boiler makers initials ”I. . T.L.” on the backhead are visible, but the second letter is faint - almost non existent. It could possibly be a “W”. If so, this could clarify the broader picture of who made all the OTTAWAY code boilers. Iam thinking this is the boiler maker I first learned about, years ago, and likely was the go to supplier, in lieu of the Radiometric lab bunch. Plus, this certain explains the coded initials on my boiler…

This forum is a great resource!

Much appreciate your assistance.

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

steamingon wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:11 am Hello,

Manufactures are not required to register the boiler with the National Board. It is an option

The ASME allows the manufacturer to use a abbreviation of its name on stamping and name plates provided it was listed upon the registration process.
Steam on,

Thanks for your input. Now that I have the boiler makers company name, I’ll be able to chase down NB registry to determine if the boiler was originally registered. To confirm, my existing boiler does have an S code ASME stamp. However, the National Board has a very limited search interface. Without the NB number, they wont plow me to search on line. Also I learned, NB does not maintain search capability for inactive boiler shops - only currently registered shops. Apparently they don’t understand that boilers often survive the businesses that make and repair them.

Now that I know what the shop name is, I will call ASME and verify the original corporate registration process.

Thanks much,
Glenn

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

DICK! Thank you for checking the 1949 Houston directory. Quite a resource!

Glenn

Pwallace

Post by Pwallace »

I have an ASTM form P2. It does not have the NB for IWTL but it does have the inspector. It has identifying information so I would rather not post here but it would be nice to locate the the records for our boiler also.