Help Identify Tool Chests

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Help Identify Tool Chests

Post by seal killer »

All--

Can you identify these chests?
PXL_20230104_180845395 resized.jpg
Thanks!

--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Re: Help Identify Tool Chests

Post by seal killer »

All--

Here's a blownup crop of the label on two of them . . .
PXL_20230104_180845395 cropped.jpg
--Bill
You are what you write.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

I found the B*B cases at online auctions. They are inexpensive watchmakers chests. I found two; $65 and $75.

But how about that top chest? It looks like a machinist chest for sure. What do you think?

--Bill
You are what you write.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Hard to tell size wise, a machinists chest to a watchmakers, but I would surmise that if
you got it in the same lot it may be a also be watchmakers tool chest.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

jcfx--

They are not mine. I'm trying to help a friend figure out if there is any value in any of them. I think there may be with the top case.

But I am not sure.

--Bill
You are what you write.
chief

Post by chief »

Is it just me, or has eBay become a waste of time? Just from curiosity, I searched watchmakers chest, just now and the cheapest one listed was $180, far cry from what Seal Killer scored. Earlier today I looked at a new Dewalt circ saw that was $20 more than Amazon???
Terry
TomB

Post by TomB »

I'm not exactly sure what differentiates machinist and watchmaker chests but I do note that the top chest has a slot under the bottom drawer where the front cover would normally slide in to store. It appears that slot is empty which implies the front cover is missing. I would think that a machinist chest without a front cover would have no value to the rebuilders. The front cover was necessary in the tool rooms I use to deal with because it allowed the machinist to close and lock the box at the end if the shift. Securing a tool box was important because theft or borrowing was quite possible when alternate shifts ran the shop.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Tom--

I restored a chest some time ago. Building a front cover is relatively easy.

Some of the older chests are worth surprising amounts.

The one I restored is almost identical to this one . . .

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/stora ... ?gclsrc=ds

--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Tom--

Here is a link to the the thread and picture of the machinist chest I restored using a LOT of help from this forum's members. The picture shows a good view of the (missing) front cover I had to build for it. (Just scroll down about three posts.)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=82166&hilit=machini ... &start=156

Ha! That thread is 13 years old!

--Bill
You are what you write.
TomB

Post by TomB »

seal killer wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:57 pm Tom--

Here is a link to the the thread and picture of the machinist chest I restored using a LOT of help from this forum's members. The picture shows a good view of the (missing) front cover I had to build for it. ...
I hope you did not feel I was disparaging you, if so I apologize. I was thinking that to have value in the collectors world the cover would have to replicate the covers on Gerstner boxes. They can be built but would require some involved searching for the stock and some careful machining. I just pulled my Gerstner box out and looked at the cover carefully. It consists of 5 wood parts, one unusual pull, 2 hole sleeves and two guide pins . The two rails are about 1/2" thick,quarter sawed, probably oak with hand hammered or mortised groves for the panel. The two stiles are similar except they are rip sawed. The panel is 3/16th thick and uses the full thickness for the tongue. The upper rail has two sleeved holes to allow the pins in the upper jam to plunge into it thereby locking the box. I can't see how the alignment pins are installed but I expect they were put in place before the sides of the box were glued in place. To make the replica I would make these pins spring loaded. Put one pin in the groove, compress the other pin and rotate the cover into is storage place. Hopefully I could make these pins and there guides out of round brass and not have to consider how to assemble them after plating The unusual pull allows a sticking panel to be pulled free (it happens often on my box, don't know why.) It appears to be a front face with two flat head screw bores and a hollow half ball welded to the back of the face. There is a finger access through the face and into the hollow sphere. I've never seen one used any where else. If I was making it I'd plan on a couple of hours on the metal lathe,a tiny bit of MIG welding and a few days to find a plating shop that could tumble plate it.The sanding, finishing and felting plus the two hole liners could likely be done while waiting for the plating.

It was that full process, likely taking several weeks that I was considering when I wrote that it probably would not be worth it. I was going to put a picture of the cover of my Gerstner box into this post but the picture is on my cell phone and this note is being written on my laptop and seemingly never the two shall meet.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Tom--

I certainly did not think ill of you! Thank you for the help.

The process you describe above is far, far beyond my abilities. I strained a bit making the simple cover for the box shown in the photo. However, it was faithful to the original, simple cover.

I take a lot of pictures with my phone and then email them to myself to get them on my computer. Can you do the same? If so, I would like to see the picture you mentioned, plus the box and whatever else you may care to share.

Again, thank you for your interest in helping me, Kind Sir.

--Bill
You are what you write.