"Precision" made hydraulic cylinders

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

"Precision" made hydraulic cylinders

Post by Mr Ron »

I watch machining videos on youtube and have to laugh at how some machining is done in 3rd world countries. Hop around in this video and see the incredible ways they machine. I think the country is India, or possibly Pakistan. Hydraulic cylinders
have to be made with precision machining, but this video shows how they make them in a 3rd world country. I'm sure this cylinder would fail immediately.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msHBypUBJj0
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Bill Shields

Re: "Precision" made hydraulic cylinders

Post by Bill Shields »

Horologists they are not...but I have seen more done with less. Everyone has a different definition of precision. Mathias Baldwin once wrote about a shop that was boring loco cylinders for him that was able to achieve the amazing precision of being within 1/8" of the specified bore..

They serve a market with a need at a $.

I watched a GE field service crew line bore a pump casing using a similar technique...

Granted ..they were more precise in their measuring.

I also watched a fellow from that part of the world cut an undercut groove in matching haves of a horizontally split pump casing using a similar technique.

With the boring bar spinning very slowly ..when the back side of the tool came around, he would tap it very lightly with a small hammer to advance the tool to cut deeper into the groove. As soon as the spring was out of the bar and the tool not cutting...he would tap it again.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Those guys are going to die young.
So many reasons...
RussN
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Hydraulic cylinders don't have to be extremely precise; the seals are malleable.

The lift cylinders on my tractor front end loader are 57 years old. They were leaking a little so I took them apart a few years ago.
The pistons were not concentric, and 50.85mm. My conclusion it that the cylinders were originally 2" (50.8mm) and were honed or bored. Someone made the oversize pistons.

I had no way to machine the bores accurately, so I just honed them with emery on a rod, made new pistons, and bought new (modern style) seals.
As you can see, the plastic sliding ring has a little gap in it due to my oversize piston.

Even though I've boosted the working pressure 20% over spec, the rebuilt random size cylinders do not leak (so far).
home made cylinder hone.jpg
home honed hydraulic cylinder.jpg
new hydraulic seal on piston.jpg