Two solvent questions....

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Two solvent questions....

Post by Bill Shields »

Probably never cleaned off when it was new
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Bill Shields wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:11 pm Probably never cleaned off when it was new
Well, that would be me. I bought it from a guy who used it once for a little stationary engine project and didn't enjoy the hobby, so it was essentially new when I got it. At first I was diligent about cleaning the lead screw but as time went by I got sloppy about it.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Not necessarily...most manufacturers goop things up with protectant oil, 99% of the time which never gets cleaned off by the first user. No matter how lightly used, you are not the first
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
asallwey

Post by asallwey »

I use brake clean for many types of cleaning, and find it will cut most things. From big items to little ones, like rinsing the oil off a part I just machined. But a major down side for many of my applications is the power of the spray - way too powerful. My solution was to buy it in a gallon jug for just under $50. Not cheap, but similar to the cost of equivalent spray cans. Then I use a ZEP spray bottle from HD. But I only fill the bottle 1/2 because I don't use it too fast and it evaporates a little. It's easy to apply multiple squirts to clean heavy dirt, and doesn't get all over. Consider using it this way.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Thanks, Asailwey. I'll remember that.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.