Monte Rio Ghost Train

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Gra2472

Monte Rio Ghost Train

Post by Gra2472 »

If anyone is interested, here is our Ghost Train ride for 2022. Unfortunately after all of this work, we got a sum total of zero visitors or trick-or-treaters on Halloween this year. Zip, zero, nada, not even a mouse. Oh well, we had fun anyways. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/zJs4zoktafs
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
Harold_V

Re: Monte Rio Ghost Train

Post by Harold_V »

An incredible effort you put forth. Damned shame you had no visitors.
Very well done.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Wow! You outdid yourselves. Sad that people were not there to enjoy your efforts.

Kitsap Live Steamers (Port Orchard, WA) had their usual big turnout.
Video made before sunset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8shtuIVzp0
Lots of people putting in effort for these events.
RussN
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

That’s really cool! The actors make it fun.
7.5" Allen Mogul
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
STRR

Post by STRR »

My wife does a large presentation for Halloween. Thus, I KNOW how much work is involved in a front yard display. Yours would have taken at least 4 times more work than a full front yard. AND much more than 4 times the expense.

Great display! Too bad there weren't more to enjoy it.

Thank you for taking and posting the video for US to enjoy. You all did an outstanding job.

Good Luck Next Year,
Terry & Sharon
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

More publicity?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Thanks guys, I’m glad you like the haunt. It actually only takes me about three days to set everything up. The hardest part this year was getting the ghost to behave. By that I mean setting up the screens and projectors to get the right effects. I still have a some work to do to get things right, but it was pretty close.

As for visitors, we don’t advertise to the public. We run it as a party. This year we invited 30 guests to our halloween party, 25 gave us their rsvp, but in the end, three showed up. On halloween itself we got zilch.

What I have found out is that it takes too much effort for people to follow through these days. We are 20 minutes from Santa Rosa, so I guess thats just too far. It was also slightly chilly, about 45 degrees. Much too cold I guess. I think the real problem is that I didn’t promise to give out participation trophy’s, oh and there isn’t a Starbucks on the corner. Frankly, I was not pleased because my wife was disappointed in her “friends.”

But what the heck ... we had fun.

Garrett
7.5" Allen Mogul
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Don't give up!
RussN
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

What I have found out is that it takes too much effort for people to follow through these days.
Amen to that! The same people that stare into their phone for 7 or 8 hours every day can't be bothered to take 10 seconds to send you a text and tell you that they aren't going to make it, or can't meet you, or something came up, or whatever. Communication between people has never been easier or faster, and it seems to me the easier it is the worse people are at it.

Working with youth over the years, I've also figured out that when people tell you they are coming to something, what they really mean is that they will come unless something else comes up that they would rather do. Then they will go to that without any sort of thought about their prior commitment.

Nice looking ride. I would have enjoyed that, no doubt. Most on these boards would have.