Help with journal springs?

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

PRR5406

Help with journal springs?

Post by PRR5406 »

Folks, I need assistance buying journal springs. The equalizer plate has a ring cast so a 3/4" coil spring can sit in it. The spring needs to stand 1+3/8th's" tall. I'm thinking the coil steel should be about 1/8th" thick. I'll require 16 of these little boogers* to support a locomotive which I estimate at about 650 pounds overall. Less expensive would be a nice plus!

Is there a size number or code for properly locating such springs online? Can I simply plug those dimensions into a search?

*I love using tech terms!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Bill Shields

Re: Help with journal springs?

Post by Bill Shields »

Lee spring has an excellent online calculator
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

PRR5406 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:17 pm Folks, I need assistance buying journal springs. The equalizer plate has a ring cast so a 3/4" coil spring can sit in it. The spring needs to stand 1+3/8th's" tall. I'm thinking the coil steel should be about 1/8th" thick. I'll require 16 of these little boogers* to support a locomotive which I estimate at about 650 pounds overall. Less expensive would be a nice plus!

Is there a size number or code for properly locating such springs online? Can I simply plug those dimensions into a search?

*I love using tech terms!
Mcmaster carr does have a good selection of springs,
I use die springs and based on the specs above.
these would fit the requirement
if 1.375 is a hard number, then using flat washers to shim for coupler height
https://www.mcmaster.com/9573K79/
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

CBrew, thanks for the reference and numbers. I'm learning by the seat of my pants.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Die springs are a good choice for your application. Plenty of suppliers out there - do a Google search if you want better selection than McMasters car. Also the urethane?/synthetic materials springs are available - usually sold in solid rounds. These are better in some applications than die springs, and also can be had in traditional 1/8th inch coil shapes…. better living through technology!
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....