Railroad Warehouse 2.8.2 Mikado Logger Build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Odyknuck

Re: Railroad Warehouse 2.8.2 Mikado Logger Build

Post by Odyknuck »

Ok, so if it's not Mild steel then what could it be. I assumed it was 1018 as I read that it can have a Brinell between 120 - 180 that would put the test of 155 in that range. Unfortunately, I am no expert at Metallurgy and I am trying to get a better understanding. Based on the hardness chart 30 Rockwell is equivalent to a Brinell of 313 or so.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Odyknuck wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:55 pm Ok, so if it's not Mild steel then what could it be.
I addressed that in my comments in post #323. I suspect it's medium carbon steel (1045).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Haven't I read that heating with a carbon rich flame will add carbon to the steel?
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Harold_V wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:01 pm
Odyknuck wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:55 pm Ok, so if it's not Mild steel then what could it be.
I addressed that in my comments in post #323. I suspect it's medium carbon steel (1045).

H

Maybe I should have asked, what number steel, sorry. So, it occurs to me that I have a coal burning stove to supplement heat in my house. Can this be used as a heat-treating oven for this steel? Also, would I still need the Heat treat compound and how long would I leave the links embedded in the red-hot coals?
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Today we remade the Crossheads out of 954 Bronze. They were made on a CNC machine so I trust that they will be accurate and per the plans. Due to numerous setups, it was a full day to complete them however well worth the effort. I still need to tap all the holes however a small part of the project.
Attachments
CrossheadBlockSquaring.jpg
CrossheadBlockSquaring.jpg (312.81 KiB) Viewed 520 times
CrossheadRadiusCut.jpg
CrossheadRadiusCut.jpg (292.14 KiB) Viewed 520 times
CrossheadPistonRodBoss.jpg
CrossheadPistonRodBoss.jpg (324.39 KiB) Viewed 520 times
CfrossheadFitCheck.jpg
CfrossheadFitCheck.jpg (399.69 KiB) Viewed 520 times
CrossheadFinalSlotCut.jpg
CrossheadFinalSlotCut.jpg (258.08 KiB) Viewed 520 times
CrossheradsTopSide.jpg
CrossheradsTopSide.jpg (228.35 KiB) Viewed 520 times
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Odyknuck wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:04 pm Today we remade the Crossheads out of 954 Bronze. They were made on a CNC machine so I trust that they will be accurate and per the plans. Due to numerous setups, it was a full day to complete them however well worth the effort. I still need to tap all the holes however a small part of the project.
Ody...gotta luv it when the drawing looks like the part that falls out of the machine! Nice work. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Awesome! I love CNC machine work. It produces functional art.
Those crossheads will meet your needs!
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Dick_Morris wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:33 pm Haven't I read that heating with a carbon rich flame will add carbon to the steel?
Yes, it will, but it's a slow process, much the same as pack hardening (ten thou per hour penetration). The heat treat company I used to use when I ran my shop did that and also controlled the atmosphere of their heat treat furnaces to limit oxidation, all by introducing extra fuel (natural gas in this case).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Odyknuck wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:04 pm So, it occurs to me that I have a coal burning stove to supplement heat in my house. Can this be used as a heat-treating oven for this steel? Also, would I still need the Heat treat compound and how long would I leave the links embedded in the red-hot coals?
Hmmm. Not sure about that. It's desirable to use the correct temperature, which you most likely could not do.
The harsh reality is if you have red hot coals, they alone may provide the needed carbon. Think of a blacksmith's forge. As long as the piece is surrounded by carbon and is heated to the critical temperature, you're bound to achieve some degree of carbon absorption. What would be important, then, is that you don't expose the heated piece to free oxygen. When one pack hardens that doesn't happen, so the part isn't altered by oxidation (scaling).

You should also understand that heating a piece in the open (or in an oxygen rich atmosphere) can be the cause of carbon loss. That's why they talk about decarb when you purchase tool steels. The outer surface (which has had the needed carbon burned out) has been removed so the material will heat treat to specs.

H
djjh87

Post by djjh87 »

Very nice work. They will be a pain to keep polished . LOL
No problems just solutions.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Thanks djjh87, I will probably just paint them black.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

ccvstmr wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:28 pm
Odyknuck wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:04 pm Today we remade the Crossheads out of 954 Bronze. They were made on a CNC machine so I trust that they will be accurate and per the plans. Due to numerous setups, it was a full day to complete them however well worth the effort. I still need to tap all the holes however a small part of the project.
Ody...gotta luv it when the drawing looks like the part that falls out of the machine! Nice work. Carl B.
Yes, I do, as you know going in that both parts will be the same, even when it's a left/right design.