Railroad Warehouse 2.8.2 Mikado Logger Build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Odyknuck

Re: Railroad Warehouse 2.8.2 Mikado Logger Build

Post by Odyknuck »

While I had the frame apart this far, I decided to spit some paint on it. Once all the work is complete on the bottom side, I will paint it from the top.
Some parts of the painted areas look like rust however it's just reflections.
Attachments
FramePaintFront.jpg
FramePaintRear.jpg
FramePaintWheel.jpg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Caution:

If you do not clean the threads with an aggressive cleaner, then loctite will not hold..which I say from bad experience.

I have to personally giggle at painting the brake linkage.

I did exactly the same on my first loco, and was very proud of it...and it was nowhere near as nice as your work..

My first loco actually had 304 stainless frames so that I would not have to paint them.... :mrgreen: :shock: this before water jet or laser cut frames were available.

45 years later, perpetually covered in crud, nobody has ever seen it -> so now I save the paint. It gets blown off with air and kerosene after every run, so rust does not appear to be a concern...and I shape the brake linkage with a band saw and belt sander.

When I was about 40, I had an opportunity to walk under a steamer at the PRR museum...and was a bit surprised at how rough things were. Cut with a torch was putting it mildly

However I am pragmatic enough to use either stainless or brass cotter keys (pins) or hitch pins to hold things together so that the assembly will most likely outlive me.

While I like nylock nuts, there are times when getting a wrench in to disassemble things is annoying...and cutting a cotter key (pin) with a pair of dykes is expedient....and I admit that I do not have the intestinal fortitude to throw them away after every use which is what all our gas turbine mechanics did for decades (and I guess they still do).

Holes in wrong locations - never!

Keep going, you are doing great!
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Yeah, like most things I do, it only looks good once lol. I agree on using a solvent on the threads. Brake cleaner works well and it push's the gunk out of the threads. I use an air chuck with 1/16" od tubing in it to blow out the holes, as it works really well on blind holes for chip removal. I have had good luck with nylocks over the years however in tight places, nuts can be a PITA! Thanks for the complement and encouragement. I was hoping to have it running this year however with all the setbacks and prior owner rework, it's not looking promising! It is however the game plan. With Off FRoad riding season coming up there will be a slow down on the Mikado, we shall see.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

From experience

Chassis running on air is 30% of an operating loco.

This assuming building a boiler.

I always finish the tender first :mrgreen:

Did you get a tender with the project?
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

No Tender. I also had to buy a cab.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

FWIW

good friend (no longer with us), built tenders from wood, painted and varnished. From 20' away you cannot tell....

Several of his (and his father's) tenders are still running around 50+ years later.

If your goal is a running loco, you can always drop a metal tank on the tender frame at a later date.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

My plan is to buy a riveted tender kit from LocoParts as it would be the quickest way to put one together.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

That works. They do a nice job
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Interesting discoveries.
Fortunately the locomotive still should be capable of operation, based on the corrected holes, and who-knows-what-else.
It is a complex machine.
RussN
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

I will continue to correct any issues with it as they come up. Not happy about it however I'm committed at this point. Thanks to the help I have received from the guys on this forum, I'm confident it will run when completed.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have multiple locos with extra holes and plugged holes.

It's an emotional thing.

As long as it goes together and works...
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Relocated holes are not that big a deal, been there done that. Not installing long enough bolts does bug me as it wastes time correcting it when I should be focused on more important things, just sayin!