Packing material

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Packing material

Post by Bill Shields »

Yes...it will work and you install it as you describe.

Been there- done that.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
flavinny

Post by flavinny »

Is there a difference between using graphite tape (Mcmaster PN 9481K11) and using square packing (PN 97675K4). Will both perform the same in installation and use?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

the end result is the same...

getting it INTO the packing gland is a LOT easier with the tape.

you just wind it around and crush it down.

with square packing, you should cut a full circumference ring for each depth....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

flavinny wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:53 am Hello Marty, I have just finished installing a boiler on my Allen Ten Wheeler that you built for me back ~2017. I fired it up on the test stand today and the throttle rod leaked terribly. I had repacked it with cotton/graphite string . I removed the gland and the string turned rock hard. I don't remember what I used on the original boiler but it lasted ten years.
Reading through this thread I see PTFE and other things mentioned but the graphite sounds interesting I have never used it.
Would it work for this application and how is it installed? Just wrap it around the rod and screw the nut down?
Vinny, the teflon and the graphite are installed the way you describe. Just make sure you wrap it around the right direction.
Johns-Manville makes teflon packing they call Zip-Joint. I bought a can 20+ years ago and still have use it.