Little engines 0-4-0 project

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

ChooChooChris

Re: Little engines 0-4-0 project

Post by ChooChooChris »

Ordered some trucks from accucraft for the tender. I am sure I will upgrade in the future and move these onto what ever car I end up building. For now however they should be fine. Almost done with the boiler and waiting on my handpump to arrive so I can hydro it.
-Chris Srch---- Home track Tradewinds and Atlantic Railroad
apm

Post by apm »

ChooChooChris wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:27 pm
Bill Shields wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:27 am Looks good...

I do typically do a quick air / soap test at 10 PSI to ensure that the rolling is correct.

If you have bubbles at that pressure -> you need to get back in and roll no matter what...
I am just going to hook directly to tap pressure and let it sit overnight and then look for any leaks. Figure if its dry at 60psi the rolls should be ok. I still got a lot of welding to do before that step and a few more trips to homedepot for cuttingwheels Those things do not last when cutting this stuff.
Don't buy your cutting or grinding wheels from Home Depot get them online you'll be pleasantly surprised how much better a quality wheel works. My favorite is 3M Cubitron. Only thing is it's a new technology where the grains fragment off so you actually need to use less pressure to remove material.
ChooChooChris

Post by ChooChooChris »

Failed hydro test. Had a small leak in the firebox i need to fix (like seepage) at 270 psi. I want to test to 300 but physically can not pump any harder! Going to grind out that weld and patch it up. Friend offered use of a large laser welder and it may be easier to use in the tight space.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

why would you pump it up to 300 psi?

in reality..if it is a steel boiler, and you leave water in it for a few days -> the seepage will most likely go away of its own accord...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ChooChooChris

Post by ChooChooChris »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:10 am why would you pump it up to 300 psi?

in reality..if it is a steel boiler, and you leave water in it for a few days -> the seepage will most likely go away of its own accord...
Why wouldn’t I .. that would be 2.5x working pressure. Rather have a higher test target and feel safer.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

full size engines get pumped up to 1.25X operating pressure with room temp or even warm water.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

And risk damaging something?

Silly...really ..
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Some inspectors will condemn a boiler that has seen more than twice the working pressure. There is no reason to go higher.
ChooChooChris

Post by ChooChooChris »

Marty_Knox wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:00 pm Some inspectors will condemn a boiler that has seen more than twice the working pressure. There is no reason to go higher.
Hmm ok you convinced me.
ChooChooChris

Post by ChooChooChris »

Actually looking at the plans again the boiler is designed to 145 so test to 290 would be 2x. I currently plan to run it at 120 however just so it is set the same as other engines at the club (unless 25psi really will make a huge impact)
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Working pressure is working pressure and the fact that you already have a weld that is apparently sub standard -> I would not overstress anything.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

The OLD standard in this hobby for steel boilers was 2 1/2 X working pressure for the initial hydro test, 1 1/2 X working pressure for annual hydro tests. I've been sticking to that for a long time. In my opinion, if a welded steel boiler can't stand 2 1/2 X working pressure cold, then it wasn't built right and shouldn't be fired up. I can understand why full-size locomotives would not want to over-stress something by testing higher. Talking about our hobby-sized boilers.