Issues with RMI

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

Issues with RMI

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi all
I would like to hear from anyone who as delivery or communication issues with Roll Models Inc. When I call, I get plenty of promises from Bill the owner with no results.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Odyknuck

Re: Issues with RMI

Post by Odyknuck »

He's probably like many companies in our current society, lack of help!
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

RMI is also not Bills main business so when things pick up at the real job, the hobby business suffers.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Well, if that is the case then I think he should get out of the business or turn the business over to someone that will operate it properly. The way that it is currently dons not help the hobby
gwerhart0800

Post by gwerhart0800 »

I called a while ago about getting a locomotive stand. His first response was "I need to check and see if we still offer that.". The stand was and is still on the web site. He did not call back and I ended up building my own. I own an RMI 25t 0-4-0 switcher that I bought as a "kit" when RMI first started making them 2 decades ago and the quality was top notch. Whereas Steve Alley has done a wonderful job taking Allen Models to the next level (Thank you Steve!), it seems that RMI has regressed as it moved from owner to owner.
George Erhart
Loveland, CO
https://lovelandcreatorspace.com
Bill@RMI

Post by Bill@RMI »

While trainman4602 owns Mercer Locomotive works and it a competitor to RMI, makes comments that are not correct. RMI has been nothing but curious to Him, as all efforts and requests have never come to any substance and a waste of time for our staff. RMI believes in honesty and does business in the same, while we can't meet everyone's needs in their time frame our staff does the very best to provide the highest quality of products to our customers.
Roger Byrne

Post by Roger Byrne »

Some of us that have been in the hobby for many years remember that in the past, there were also "issues" doing business with Mercer Locomotive Works. Trainman is a very talented guy and I admire he workmanship, but maybe he should back off about how others do business.
Preserving Mechanical History for Future Generations Since 1965
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Asking for reliable communication is absolutely fair game for any supplier or business. I think product delays are generally not a big deal to most as long as the supplier explains "that due to X, product Y is delayed". It's the communication that is killer, hence the other tread with someone asking about a Little engines part, or various people posting about Roger goldmann. It takes 30 seconds to send a quick email, I think there's little excuse for lack of communication in 2022. I think most of the mercer line is now with Jeff at Locoparts, at least the safeties, checks, starter valves, but not sure if he's currently offering them.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

I doubt any of our suppliers have not had one issue or another over the years,, more so with the continued supply chain issues.
communication is key.. as said before, it takes a few minutes to respond, even if its a brief note the email was received.
but one thing that is never expectable is lying, to say "oh its on the bench now" , or "it will be shipped next week" etc is BS and it needs to stop.. if the vendor can not ship for any reason, Man up and say it. end of story,,,,
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Well, OK I fully expected to get criticism about my years with Mercer Locomotive. I no longer sell things under Mercer. I have sold all product off some to Jeff Dute and most to Ed Archer of Iron Horse supply. Just last week I purchased four Jackon Sharpe Bumble Bee cars from Accucraft and locomotive. I will tell you they are on the way to my location. The staff at Accucraft could not have been nicer No BS just business. Bill at RMI was always nice to me but when I ordered some things it actually took four months to receive it and that is with numerous phone calls all most weekly calls with no results.
Yes, In the early days of Mercer I had my issues trying to raise a family and run a Live team business. It is not an easy thing to do Mostly the foundry's held things up, but I had to take the blame for non-deliveries. This is the main reason I have retired from the supply business. The last twenty years of Mercer I sold many items never took a deposit just a name spent My own money to produce the products and emailed the customer when it was ready to ship. I had to wait from my money sometimes several months, but I delivered everything that was ordered and on time.
Mister Byrne I don't know you. Did I sell you something? I don't recall. If so, what was it you didn't receive? I will bet you never bought any items from Mercer, and you are going on hearsay. whatever happened over 40 years ago with Mercer GET OVER IT!
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Dave, the reason you retired out is the same reason i refuse to start. If I take on any external project work, I make it perfectly clear that my normal job and family takes priority. I just refuse to put myself in that position. and just for the record, I have always had good results dealing with you Dave. if you had delivery issues (with the safeties), you always spoke up...
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Dave:
Thank you for your years as a Live Steam supplier.
My locomotives continue to run with products you supplied and sold.

CBREW stated his case well. He and I continue to exchange steam business on a friendly, non-commercial basis.
Helping each other when needed.
RussN