Maximum Enjoyable Grade

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

pat1027

Maximum Enjoyable Grade

Post by pat1027 »

There have been previous discussions on maximum grade from the locomotive prospective and what well known tracks have established as their maximum. My question is from the engineers prospective what is the maximum grade you enjoy running over? Not the grade you can climb but the point where the grade detracts from the railroad.
ChuckHackett-844

Re: Maximum Enjoyable Grade

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

To me, the railroad should have sections of challenging grade (speaking for my Northern that would be about 2.5% to 3% with load).

Ideally there should be different routes with different max grades so that an engineer can choose the route he likes best and is within his capabilities and the capabilities of his locomotive/train.

A grade that is too steep will detract from the fun due to slipping - but, the steepest grades where one has to use precise throttle technique and perhaps sand can be the most challenging and rewarding when you make it over the hill!

For normal running I think 1.5% is fine.

I like where the grade changes often with smooth transitions at grade changes which allows you to 'learn' the railroad and also requires constant attention to maintain a given speed (talking steam locomotive here).

Keep in mind, the steeper the grade the more important good brakes are.

In the past I was an engineer on the Omaha Zoo Railroad (30" gauge, oil fired). At that time we had a 5% hill. You had to pay attention to make it to the top of that hill with a loaded train! Lots of fun if the MOW guys had been out 'weed-whacking' and got grass on the rail head!
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

I'd say enough grade to require that you adjust the throttle to make it around the track. There should be an area that makes an engine work and also the downgrades to challenge your handling to keep brakes to a minimum. I've seen some layouts where some people like to make a single throttle setting and seem to be asleep as they don't have to do anything. Not my style.

Key I think is the lengths of the grades and the transitions. We had one section that had about 40' with about 2.5% that with rework became a longer 1.5% grade. Many trains had trouble there before that now make it a manageable task.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

owing a loco that will stall with the relief valves blowing before it wheel slips (on dry track), makes my perspective a bit warped (but then all of you should be aware of that condition).

2% or less a good place...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Depends on the loco. A Shay driver may have a different response than a slippery underweight 4-4-0
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

It will depend on the locomotive and the person. It is largely subjective.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

0-4-0, wet tracks, will be far different than a shay or diesel with all wheels driven. Also consider maximum weight of the loaded train, I think I’d figured about 4000#’s at a 2.5-3% max grade
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

The fun part is emulating the big guys. Setting the throttle, adjusting the speed with the Johnson bar. One has to anticipate those grades and push the bar further into the corner way before a grade, building momentum. More so with a respectable load.

Likewise with pulling back before cresting a hill. Then judicious application of brakes, adjust the bar as necessary. With practice, not much adjustment of the throttle is required, unless stopping or getting into traffic.

The long grades at the Wimberley, Blanco & Southern are great to perfect the practice.