Where to get material for a display track for 3.5" gauge

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

apm

Where to get material for a display track for 3.5" gauge

Post by apm »

I want to build a display track for a 3.5" gauge locomotive complete with rail, tie plates, ballast and spikes. Anyone know what if anything other than rail is out there for such an endeavor?
gwrdriver

Re: Where to get material for a display track for 3.5" gauge

Post by gwrdriver »

I don't know about the hardware but there is a material commonly called "chicken grit" which is crushed stone (usually granite or quartzite) sold as a digestive aid for . . chickens. Formal name Poultry Grit comes in four sizes (#1 to #4), and "scale" main line ballast for 3/4" scale would be about 1/8"-3/16" sieve, so I think a #3 grit would be about the right size.
Grit varies in color from grey to white depending upon source, but color can be mixed with the binding agent, which is usually a greatly diluted white glue.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I made a display track a while back. I used G scale rail and spikes. The rail was aluminum so it was given a shot of spray paint. Mainly dark gray primer with a dusting of red oxide primer to simulate rust. The ties were cut using the table, and cut off saw. The ties were dipped in black Rit dye and alcohol. The G scale guys may have tome tie plates available.
Jack
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Code 332 rail is pretty close to 90 lb/yard rail in 1/16 scale (3/4"). The height being 0.332" comes out to a scale 5 5/16" height, which is pretty close to 90 lbs/yard according to the chart.

That same code 332 rail would be approximately 140 lbs/yard in 1/2" scale (actually 1:22.5 scale, 2 1/2" gauge). So you can see that the rail is completely oversize and over-built for LGB narrow gauge trains. I suspect they did this so that it would take a lot more abuse and weathering, and maybe the occasional stepping on.

A company called Micro Engineering makes scale tie plates for code 332 rail cast from white metal. they also have blackened steel spikes that work with the tie plates.
apm

Post by apm »

I like the idea of using G scale track. I will have to do some more looking when I get more time in front of a real computer. My quick searches on the phone seem to show most vendors want to sell multiple pieces. Anyone know of a vendor who sells this rail by the foot or at least in smaller quantities. I need about 100" total of rail.
apm

Post by apm »

Well here's the final outcome. I took everyone's advice and used the code 332 G scale rail and went with the micro engineering tie plates and spikes. Ballast was sold as "coarse sand" at Lowes to people potting succulent type plants. I didn't want to go with chicken grits as all the stuff that I could find appeared treated with oils that I was afraid would fight the glue bonding.

It came out really nice.

Now the big debate in my household is whether or not this thing is the best decoration for our livingroom ever or if it is out of place and doesn't belong! None the less I am quite pleased with the addition. Much better than lingering in the garage when not in use during the off season.
Attachments
20221016_170840_copy_774x1032.jpg
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Looks right at home in the living room alongside the other steam models.

Keith
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

My 3 1/2" scale Canadian Pacific Hudson, ol' #2888, is kept in my nice work shop under cover.
I "undress" her now and again and fondle her to both our enjoyment.

She does need some surgery on her pumps and check valves; priorities, priorities...
apm

Post by apm »

Wolfgang time to get her out from under the covers and move her into your livingroom! We got an open concept floor plan so I get to enjoy checking my locomotive out all dinner long!

Now I've been thinking maybe it's time to fix the headlamp and put in a model railroad sound system in her so the air compressor can go off bell rings, while I am at it maybe a smoke generator for the off season too, but somehow I am thinking that my push my luck with the wife a little too far!

I have been a ground line guy my whole life but now I am starting to reconsider as I've been having a lot of fun with this engine. No way I could get my other Steamer into the livingroom.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I vote for living room display.

We had a friend with a gorgeous 17 foot long Thistle sailboat (hull # 1041) made of varnished Mahogany, and of the finest workmanship.
It lived on its trailer in their living room, rolled in though the french doors.
An equally nice mahogany stairway provided access for sitting in the boat for whatever reasons desired!
It was a fine piece of functioning furniture.

Keep your locos in the living room...
RussN
Last edited by NP317 on Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Hmmm! A 1 1/2" Loco let alone a sailboat in my living room would be a really big no lol. I already have a 50' by 13' HO layout in the basement.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

It looks really nice. I would like to see an up-close shot of your track work just to get an idea of how the tie plates and spikes all look when laid down.