Road trips are always an adventure.....

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Road trips are always an adventure.....

Post by Bill Shields »

No ..by the time I could afford one BMW cycles went from 45HP to twice that, making the VW engine irrelevant.

Do a Google of bmw cycle with VW engine. You will see several.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I was stuck in traffic on a highway above Boston in my old Ford truck, and the strangest motorbike I ever saw was standing next to me; so I rolled down the window and shouted out; "What is it?"

"BMW with a Subaru engine!" he answered.

Long ago I read a story in Cycle magazine about a bike called Amazona made in Brazil around a VW engine.
Anyone ever seen one?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Today they call them gold wings.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Never seen an Amazonia in the flesh, but the concept is the same as previously discussed.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:04 pm (You can pull the engine in 20 minutes with a screwdriver, one wrench, and a floor jack.)
I'm always amazed when people tell me this. I couldn't even get the bolts to the halfshafts of my baywindow bus out in that time, but I know I'm slow.
John Brock
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

My dad reported that his German mechanics could swap a VW motor in 45 minutes.
They would time it for fun.
That's real time for guys who specialized in it, and when the cars were fairly new.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Yup. And that's working alone. The 45 minutes includes time for a beer :wink: .

As I remember, there were only 4 bolts holding the engine to the transaxle. Two clamps for the cables to the heater boxes, the throttle cable, the gas line, and the wiring to the distributor and alternator (Or was it a generator? I think my '63 may have been 6 volt — not sure). You also have to pull the sheet metal pans that seal off the engine compartment from the road below. You jack the car up as high as you can get it (this is for the curbside engine swap), slip the jackstands under the axles, and then use the floor jack under the center of the case to drop it down. Then you can just pull it back and out from under while it sits on the jack pad.

The install takes a minute longer because you have to line up the splined shaft from the crank to the clutch (Now I've forgotten. Is the clutch on the engine or on the transaxle?)
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Clutch on flywheel. Splined drive in clutch center drives the transaxle shaft.

I have changed one by myself in under 2 hours, but had all the tools and the support device (based on a 55 gal oil drum) handy...and was working on a air over hydraulic lift.

Generator in those years, even when 12 volts