Switch (Turnout) Motor

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

ChuckHackett-844

Re: Switch (Turnout) Motor

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

Soot n' Cinders wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:53 pm How's the development going Chuck?
I have two prototypes being field tested at a customer site. One change to make to strengthen a part but the concept is solid.

The prototypes are designed as a bolt-on addition to the plastic Accu-Tie switch stand but I have plans to adapt it to other switch stands as well.

I also have plans to develop a self-contained version that would not need a separate switch stand, all adjustments would be from above (i.e.: no need to adjust springs under the bridal, etc., and it would still have manual override, low current, etc.
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

The self contained version definitely sounds interesting! The ones I built connected to a switch machine have proven difficult to keep people from grabbing and forcing the switch against the motor
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
ChuckHackett-844

Soot n' Cinders wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:05 pm The self contained version definitely sounds interesting! ....
The design is safe on the napkin ... now all that remains is to transform it into fact :D
Soot n' Cinders wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:05 pm .... The ones I built connected to a switch machine have proven difficult to keep people from grabbing and forcing the switch against the motor
My current version allows manual override of the motor without damage. If you can email me info on your switch machine I might be able to adapt it to your switch machine.
Regards,

Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Friends at Quebec Live Steamers constructed electric switch motors from dead portable electric drills. So many battery powered drills lose the batteries and then the manufacturer changes the battery design. Salvaging the drills and motors became an option for these folks.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
ChuckHackett-844

PRR5406 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:33 am Friends at Quebec Live Steamers constructed electric switch motors from dead portable electric drills. So many battery powered drills lose the batteries and then the manufacturer changes the battery design. Salvaging the drills and motors became an option for these folks.
As stated in my original post, one of the requirements I have for the switch motor is:

Must have a low current draw to allow it to be fed by long wires at a distant point on the railroad without the need for batteries, etc. Obviously it could still be used with batteries if desired. I want to keep the current under 100ma but my target is 30ma-40ma

The drill motors you refer to draw several amps on startup, have large running current, and a large current draw if the motor is 'stalled' (can't move). They will work where large current is available (mains, solar charged battery, etc.) but can not be used, for example, 1,000 feet away from the signal system power source without using very large power conductors.

The obvious advantage of the drill motors is that they are available very inexpensively in many cases.

In my case, since I will be selling this as a 'product', I can not base the design on a 'surplus' motor that might not be available tomorrow. The motor I am using is produced by several different sources and my mounting is designed such that it is not difficult to substitute similar motors in the same size range (about 1.25" diam x 2.5" long).

The motors I use are drawing about 35ma in testing. These switch motors can be used a long distance from the power source. In the case of the signal system I sell http://MiniRailSolutions.com which uses a single 30 volt DC central supply, these switch motors can be 1,000's of feet from the supply. Two of my customers have power/data runs exceeding 3,000-4,000 feet with over 60 signals and a supply current less than 2A total.

Due to the low current, I also plan on selling a version that has a self-contained small rechargeable battery and a solar cell. This unit can be used stand-alone away from any power source.
Regards,