Are there any 4-3/4" ga. tracks in Michigan?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

jscarmozza

Re: Are there any 4-3/4" ga. tracks in Michigan?

Post by jscarmozza »

Two NJLS members added about 100' of 2-1/2" ga. track to a section of elevated line so that they could test run their engines, it's not likely that they'll continue it around the entire elevated loop.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

SteveM wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:00 pm
Bill Shields wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:32 pm Do not feel bad...for years I thought that PLS had the only 2.5" gauge track in the east coast...now I find there is also one as NJLS.
I've always thought that if you already have a 3-1/2" and 4/3/4" track, adding the extra rail is not a lot of work compared to the original build, and it's not much more maintenance, so why not?

I don't remember NJLS having 2-1/2 when I was there last, but that was a bunch of decades and millions of brain cells ago.

Steve
I have not seen the NJLs 2.5" TRACK, but have been told it is there.

Adding the extra rail is not all that big a deal until you get to turnouts.

at PLS, the 2.5 / 3.5 / 4.75 GROUND LEVEL track has multiple turnouts...which are interesting indeed....

a while back someone posted a video showing a run around an elevated track that I believe was in the northern mid-west, and had all of the talked about gauges....darned if I can remember...just that there were a LOT OF RAILS up on pylons...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

St. Croix, they have 5", 4-3/4", 3-1/2", 2-1/2".. And I'm sure there's another...
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Mike Walsh wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:29 am St. Croix, they have 5", 4-3/4", 3-1/2", 2-1/2".. And I'm sure there's another...
I think the elevated track has 7-1/2" so you can use a wider riding flatcar than 4-3/4".

Steve
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

SteveM wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:13 pm
Mike Walsh wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:29 am St. Croix, they have 5", 4-3/4", 3-1/2", 2-1/2".. And I'm sure there's another...
I think the elevated track has 7-1/2" so you can use a wider riding flatcar than 4-3/4".

Steve
Correct. We added the 5" when we rebuilt the high line, and the 7.5" allowed our welding member (thanks Steve!) to put a welder and generator on a 7.5" flat and roll it as he progressed. The 5" was to allow the guys from Winnipeg to run at our track, as they very kindly loaned us their concrete forms.
John Brock
jbennett1445

Post by jbennett1445 »

Hopefully I sent a PM yesterday with ways to contact me directly if you have more questions about 4/3/4" in MI. If it didn't make it let me know as I don't have a lot of experience in that.

Jim B.
www.chaski.com
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

I get to Michigan regularly for family and 7.5" operation sessions. But at home (FLLS) I do 1" scale. Our club layout is rather nice, mixed bidirectional under signals, and occasional op sessions. I'd be interested if there are any 1" scale tracks in Michigan too. I'd be likely to pass that way if I was going to St Croix with equipment.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world