Dust collector

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Dust collector

Post by Harold_V »

liveaboard wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:44 pm the bandsaw throws the dust around so much that this machine doesn't get it all.
I don't use the wood machines often, so I just move the hose around as required.
The one advantage I have over your setup is that the DoAll is totally enclosed. I can see how I could attach a second port to the upper portion so it, too, would be under negative pressure.

While my father was a carpenter, I've never enjoyed working with wood. I do it because it's necessary. For that reason, I have little in the way of wood working equipment.

I would have been wise to have built my shop larger and had a dedicated room for wood working, with the machines set-up in a permanent location, properly ducted. Like you, I'll just move the hose around. Better than tolerating the huge mess I created.

Thanks for your comments.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
rmac

Post by rmac »

Harold_V wrote: ... there is a large (two motor) built in vacuum cleaner that serves my shop and the house. It has a cyclonic separator and discharges out-of-doors without the use of a fine particle filter. I am not fond of filters, as they clog and reduce air flow.
If that thing moves enough air, you're 90% of the way there already. With a hose or two and some adapters, you should be set.
Harold_V wrote: My good wife suggested she'd help. She's like that.
Sounds like you should keep her around (if that wasn't already your plan). :)

-- Russell Mac
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

rmac wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:00 pm If that thing moves enough air, you're 90% of the way there already. With a hose or two and some adapters, you should be set.
And there is the problem. While it has ample suction, they don't really move a lot of air. I can suck up a ½" nut like it's made of wood, but the system would quickly get overwhelmed with sawdust. I've used it on a limited basis and it helps, but it doesn't move enough air to be really useful.
Harold_V wrote: My good wife suggested she'd help. She's like that.
Sounds like you should keep her around (if that wasn't already your plan). :)

-- Russell Mac

I dated very little as a young guy. Wasn't real comfortable around women and didn't understand that they are not all the same. I spent 19 years of my early life, 14 of them married, with and to a woman who makes my present wife look like a queen. She was nasty and resentful and had a huge appetite for men. From that union one child was born, a girl. I have no idea if I'm the father or not. I finally divorced her. I have no relationship with the child, who told me when she was 15 years old that she didn't need me in her life anymore. Likely one hell of a lot more than you wanted to know, eh?

Susan is a gem. I suspect that, unless she tosses me out, I'll stay with her until the end. It seems to be working and has for more than 44 years now.

How many wives do you know that have encouraged their husbands to buy a Hass CNC mill?

Yeah, she's a keeper!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Something I forgot to mention; the filter in my photo is (supposedly) able to block very fine particles that can irritate airways.
Some woods are toxic, and engineered woods create nasty resin dust.
So these fine filter systems became required by law in the EU for wood workshops 20 years ago or more.
I was told (admittedly, by a salesman) that the cloth bag filters only catch the large visible dust and allow dangerous fine particles to pass through.

My bandsaw is pretty old too; it looks like the dust collection was added later. There was no lower bearing at all, just a block of hardwood with a slot for the blade.
That didn't work very well.
I bought it at auction for 60 euros.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Susan is a gem. I suspect that, unless she tosses me out, I'll stay with her until the end. It seems to be working and has for more than 44 years now.

How many wives do you know that have encouraged their husbands to buy a Hass CNC mill?

Yeah, she's a keeper!

H

As is mine, Liz. Several years ago, we went to Eastern States for the EASTEC show. I was looking at a new HAAS TM1-P when Liz turned to the salesman and asks "how quick can you deliver this machine?" I got over my shock and said no, we can't afford this! But, I did buy one that needs new controls and had that delivered. But then again, she bought me a 13" Clausing Colchester lathe 30 years ago.
And she loves to travel: roadtrips for any reason, eh Harold? :D

Jim B
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

And I thought I was fortunate with a wife who wanted a zero turn lawn tractor for an anniversary present
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

rrnut-2 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:59 am eh Harold? :D
Oh, hell yeah! Liz is a gem; something I can't say for many women (or men). Jim has been blessed with a wonderful mate. Liz didn't do so bad, either! :wink:

H
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

We've been married since 1967.

If you can get your wife to do what is shown in the four attached photos, then you know you have the perfect mate!

She also has a MS in Biology!

DSCN0013.JPG
DSCN0008.JPG
DSCN6378.JPG
DSCN6341.JPG
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

If you are wondering what the finished room looks like, here is a finished photo.

Yep, when I made those panels, and the ceiling beams, I certainly appreciated that sawdust collector.

I find that if I process woods like Black Walnut, if I'm not careful, a few hours later I develop an aura of flashing light in my eyes.

It is not followed by a migraine as others get, just the flashing light that goes away after ~ 20 minutes.

I've learned to wear a mask when I process B.W.; Ophthalmologist tells me it's not his problem, and not too serious.

DSCN0002.JPG
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

And a PhD in psychology :D
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Harold, as to dust collecting you have a problem. Given the size, layout, and contents of your shop, there is no easy solution for dust control. And cleaning up the dust you recently generated will take Susan a very long time – possibly never finish getting it all. Here are a few thoughts that might help for future wood cutting projects.
If the weather is tolerable, take the forklift and move the woodworking machines outdoors so the dust is generated outside and stays outside.
If you are going to do very much woodworking inside, get one of the dust collectors specifically designed for woodworking, 2 hp or bigger (I have a I hp and it is barely adequate). With that type of unit, you can sort of box in most of the immediate area near the cutting action and it will collect most everything. With that, I use a short 4” hose to a cyclonic type separator on top of a trash can with a 4” hose to the dust collector which is outside. I use that type of setup for the oscillating spindle sander, overarm router, and molding machine. It would also work on the bandsaw if you box in most of the area below the table top.
Another possible arrangement is to make up some large panels with light wood frames and clear plastic skins, then assemble them to make a clean room, inverted, with the machine inside. Might even put most of the woodworking stuff in one area and enclose the whole.
Shop vacs are generally high pressure, low volume, and you want low pressure, high volume. Grizzley makes decent equipment for dust collection.
I run an area air cleaner to remove all of the fines from the air; I also have a whole room fan that exhausts outside.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Russ Hanscom wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:56 pm <snip>move the woodworking machines outdoors so the dust is generated outside and stays outside.
That's something I do when I can. The jointer and planer are on casters, so the move is easy. Can't move the DoAll without a hassle, though. The miter saw is easy to move by hand. The big problem here is the weather. This time of the year it's hard to get a dry day.
2 hp or bigger (I have a I hp and it is barely adequate).
That's one bit of information I sorely needed. I want to be able to move a large volume of air, something that the built in vacuum system doesn't do, as you mentioned in your comments.

I'm not in a hurry. Moving slowly in the hopes that I make the right decisions.

H