Oven Burner Repair?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Oven Burner Repair?

Post by Bill Shields »

FWIW

I use high temp caulking from a tube to stick gaskets to my coal furnace doors...goodvfor 2000 F

Think it could apply in this case if you have nothing else.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I believe this is complete. I cycled the oven on and off a number of times today and the "whoomp" sound is not happening. :)

I inspected the clamp/patch and it seemed none the worse for wear. I wanted to know if there might be another cause, so I changed the air intake to let more air in. I saw no apparent change in the flame or the startup and shutdown. Then changed the air intake to reduce the amount of air and again there was no apparent change in the flame or the startup and shutdown.

Not content with "if it works, don't fix it", I removed the clamp and shim stock and smeared some furnace adhesive over the hole. The stuff from McMaster has a good consistency and spreads well. I then spread more on the shim stock and put them together:
patch w furnace cement.PNG
Then put the hose clamp on top of the whole thing and spread cement on it as a protective layer from the igniter. Dried it out good with a hair dryer and reinstalled. Here's a picture of it in action. Hard to get good detail with the bright igniter.
burner in action.PNG
burner in action.PNG (203.64 KiB) Viewed 5127 times
We'll keep an eye on it and I'm going to have the service guy come back to check the flame and get his opinion.

The air inlet for the burner is at one end, then the venturi and then the burner holes. I was reviewing my notes on the Marty burner and noticed that the air inlet is located at each nozzle, and would be inside the firebox. I wonder if it would be possible to have a single gas inlet next to an air inlet with a crude venturi that feeds the manifold of firebox burners? This would be more adjustable than the Marty burner I've seen.

Thanks for your inputs.
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
Measure twice, cut once, wait - it was supposed to be brass! :)
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Great report! I see a nice blue flame with not a sign of yellow.
That igniter sure has attitude!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

You could make a case for forced air circulation in an oven that does not apply to a steamer
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

SteveR:
Nice repair job! Thanks for sharing your solution. Useful info for future projects.

Parallel topic:
As for your wondering about a single gas jet inlet for a firebox burner, that's what my 1/8th scale Mikado has, designed and built by Seattle Live Steamer Al VonRuden.
Al made many such burners for locomotives here before he passed on 2 years ago, in his mid-90s.
Pics below of the burner he made for me.
RussN
Burner 4 small.jpg
Burner 6 small.jpg
Burner 1 small.jpg
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Hi Russ,
That is exactly what I was thinking. And there must be some way to adjust the airflow at the inlet end? So then I googled "gas venturi" and lots of pictures of things like this popped up:
gas venturi.PNG
Could use something like this as the front end to the burner assembly to make something like yours. Would fit in my Consolidation, but might be a challenge in a small firebox - OTOH it should be scalable. Another project to try.
Thanks,
SteveR
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Yes, the venturi entrance has an adjustable air baffle, and easily replaceable jet for tuning the final air/fuel ratio when installed in the firebox.
Al's drawing of that head is attached.
RussN
Al VonRueden's Orifice Mixing Head.pdf
(36.38 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Great! Thanks for posting that.
SteveR
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects