C&O H8 Allegheny in 1.6” Scale

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Steam Engine Dan

Re: C&O H8 Allegheny in 1.6” Scale

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

this video taken at NJLS in 1987, depicts some shots of the famous culp brothers coal fired UP challenger. they ran it on soft coal from Bethlehem steel company in Bethlehem PA. this stuff was very smokey but it steamed great on it. and it's an articulated engine. so in conclusion, you can fire articulated engines in 1 1/2 scale on coal. as long as you feel the fire. firing is not about looks, it's about feel. if the fire bed feels thin, put 2 scoops on each side. if the fire bed feels good. throw a tiny scoop on just to keep things lit. the more practice, the better you get at it. especially with coal burners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVt_Vz1B3mY
Kevin S

Post by Kevin S »

in regards to the Allegheny in Willows. I found this Picture Don Youngling posted on a Facebook group. According to some of the post it was built by Charlie Derbyshire of LALS.
-Kevin S
Attachments
allagheny at svls.jpg
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

wonder what happened to it or its current situation/location
srt4242

Post by srt4242 »

Kevin S wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:29 pm in regards to the Allegheny in Willows. I found this Picture Don Youngling posted on a Facebook group. According to some of the post it was built by Charlie Derbyshire of LALS.
-Kevin S
Probably the only time in history Cab Forward tender was used behind a H8.....
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

always thought a USRA 2-8-8-2 would be really neat in 7.5 gauge. or a B&O EM-1
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Couple photos I took of Andi's Allegheny back in 1984 at GGLS....

Ken-
GGLS.png
GGLS 9.png
RR Ty

Post by RR Ty »

That is one good looking locomotive, thanks for sharing the pictures.

I have been a bit busy recently and haven’t done much work on the Allegheny project. The tender has been my main focus of thought. The frame will not be cast like the prototype. Most likely, the tender will be a shell of sorts that can lift off the frame for maintenance of the water tank and any other goodies hidden in the tender. From the outside, the tender will look correct, but my thinking is that by giving up some water capacity, my work in maintenance will decrease significantly.

On a similar note, I have been working on the design and layout of my new shop (construction will be beginning this year). My plan is to have an indoor steaming bay so maintenance can continue as usual through winter.
RR Ty

Post by RR Ty »

Also,

Thank you all for the input!
dkellldog

Post by dkellldog »

Hey RR Ty,

Glad to hear there is someone else out in the wilderness involved in the construction of an H8. Cliff Hadlock of Indiana had started construction on a H8 and sent me some pictures of his progress, Both of us were working in 1.6 scale. Our driver castings came from Interstate castings from patterns Cliff had completed. He and I were at working at the same pace although he had the pony and trailing truck done while I had the boiler under construction. Over the years I've tried to reconnect with Cliff but I fear he may have left us. I don't know who wound up with his under construction loco.

Because I still work full time, I cannot work on the engine as much as I would like. I'm currently working on the engine brake rigging after which I will flip the frames over and start working on the cylinder installation. The side rod outer profiles have neem machined with the fluting and thinning yet to be done. For years I had Rich Ulin as a sounding board as we traded thoughts, material suppliers and build techniques. We lost a great resource with Rich's passing.

While my build is a little crude, I'd really like to correspond with you regarding your build. A lot of my questions are esoteric and pertain specifically to the Alleghany and how you are meeting some of the build challenges.
RR Ty

Post by RR Ty »

dkellldog wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:07 pm Hey RR Ty,

Glad to hear there is someone else out in the wilderness involved in the construction of an H8. Cliff Hadlock of Indiana had started construction on a H8 and sent me some pictures of his progress, Both of us were working in 1.6 scale. Our driver castings came from Interstate castings from patterns Cliff had completed. He and I were at working at the same pace although he had the pony and trailing truck done while I had the boiler under construction. Over the years I've tried to reconnect with Cliff but I fear he may have left us. I don't know who wound up with his under construction loco.

Because I still work full time, I cannot work on the engine as much as I would like. I'm currently working on the engine brake rigging after which I will flip the frames over and start working on the cylinder installation. The side rod outer profiles have neem machined with the fluting and thinning yet to be done. For years I had Rich Ulin as a sounding board as we traded thoughts, material suppliers and build techniques. We lost a great resource with Rich's passing.

While my build is a little crude, I'd really like to correspond with you regarding your build. A lot of my questions are esoteric and pertain specifically to the Alleghany and how you are meeting some of the build challenges.
I sent you a PM with my contact info, would love to talk!
mogul327

Post by mogul327 »

Hi Dave check your PMs for a message about Cliff and his H8.
1.5" Scotty Mogul #238
1.5" L.E. American Restoration
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

happened across this photo, no idea who's loco it is. clearly an old photo.
Attachments
116693654_3374385765938259_2332714680960971782_o.jpg