Sort of a machining project

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

neanderman

Sort of a machining project

Post by neanderman »

Re-glued some loose joints and added new felt to the drawers. I still need to line the upper compartment:
20211214_183959_sm.jpg
Any thoughts on how to help keep the contents from rusting?
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
TimTheGrim

Re: Sort of a machining project

Post by TimTheGrim »

If you take Statins like me , just save those little cylindrical dryer packs and put one in each drawer.
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

You mean those little thingies labeled "do not eat"?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

TimTheGrim wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:05 pm ...those little cylindrical dryer packs and put one in each drawer.
Good idea! I've been stocking up on silica gel packets from computer shipments for ages.

Thanks!
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I've owned A Gerstner since 1958. Rust has never been a problem for me. It even spent four years in storage in a damp container, here in Western Washington. Items stored in my steel Kennedy rollaway did experience some superficial rusting, and they were located in the same area of the container, so I'm inclined to suggest that wood helps prevent rust. Most likely because it is slower to react to temperature swings.

Unless you live in a very damp environment, or your shop experiences wide temperature swings, it's pretty likely that your tools will remain rust free. No harm in using a desiccant, however.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
rmac

Post by rmac »

Harold_V wrote: so I'm inclined to suggest that wood helps prevent rust
I have heard that also, and can report that I do not have problems with rust on my woodworking planes that live in drawers made of plywood. "Okay," you say, "but your're in Phoenix where it's very dry." Indeed that's true most of the time, but we do have nasty hot and humid conditions for two or three months every year during the summer monsoon when rust is definitely a problem.

-- Russell Mac
Last edited by rmac on Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I need to stop eating those desiccant packs...
RussN
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

NP317 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:22 pm I need to stop eating those desiccant packs...
Dry mouth? 8)
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

NP317

Post by NP317 »

neanderman wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:41 pm
NP317 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:22 pm I need to stop eating those desiccant packs...
Dry mouth? 8)
Blaahhd shmzsa futzs.
RussN
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I need to stop eating those desiccant packs...
RussN
Why? They help reduce the nightly trips to the bathroom se well.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
TomB

Post by TomB »

rmac wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:48 am
Harold_V wrote: so I'm inclined to suggest that wood helps prevent rust
I have heard that also, and can report that I do not have problems with rust on my woodworking planes that live in drawers made of plywood. "Okay," you say, "but your're in Phoenix where it's very dry." Indeed that's true most of the time, but we do have nasty hot and humid conditions for two or three months every year during the summer monsoon when rust is definitely a problem.

-- Russell Mac
I live in New England and everything wants to rust. I have found that wood accelerates rust if it is close to tools. My example: I have nice carving and hammering chisels and I tried to build blocks that would hold a set of tools in snug fitting holes/slots. Where the chisels were tight to the wood rust happened.

Tom
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

While the outsides of Gerstner boxes are oak, there is something in oak (I think the tannins) that will make tools rust, so they make the insides of poplar.

I picked up a Gerstner chest for about $100, but it was missing a drawer because the horizontal separator bowed, preventing the drawer from closing and the prior owner's solution was to remove the drawer. His daughter didn't know where it was.
Gerstner.jpg
I gave it to my brother who has a knack with woodworking to make me a drawer (can't find one on ebay, as it's not a common drawer size). Also have him a sheet of metal for the bottom.

Once he's done with it, I need to restore all the mechanical bits.

Steve